RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

giza pyramid intrigue

Old 09-20-2002, 02:19 AM

Speaking of ancient cultures...I found this to be pretty interesting-
Mayan "World War"
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2002, 02:22 AM

Re: Polar Shift

Quote:
Originally posted by tobycatt
Yeah well ok, I give up. I get too caught up in taking debates personally so I will shut up until the subject goes back to normal things.

Claudia
sorry... I love debates...and rarely take anything personally, but I can come across as pretty hard headed sometimes. Please do not "shut up"...I enjoy a good debate!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2002, 02:43 AM

debate

I know, I am a big sissy. Maybe tomorrow when I am awake I will take up my sword again.

Claudia
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2002, 08:03 AM

Hey, Greg -- wanna contribute to a "good cause"?

A California man is almost ready to prove there's a giant hole connecting the North and South Poles. Next May, Hollow Earth researcher Dallas Thompson is planning to travel from the Arctic to the Antarctic by way of the hole.

So far, Thompson says he's received $100 grand in donations -- enough to buy a mini-helicopter that can zip through the hole at 100 miles per hour.

Thompson still needs another $15 grand to pay for the "hole" experience, which he says will include a side trip to a "crystal city" under the Earth and encounters with real-life dinosaurs.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2002, 08:39 AM

A lot of these theories relate to beliefs in Atlantis, creationism, and / or an advanced civilization which existed thousands of years ago but vanished from the face of the earth -- retreating back into the solar system, drowned in Atlantis, or hiding in the "hollow" Earth. It seems that there was an NBC special on TV in 1996 called "The Mysterious Origins of Man" which related some of these theories.

I found one scientist's attempt to explain how current scientific findings do not agree with these alternative thoughts --

http://www.intersurf.com/~chalcedony...e.shtml#link40

These ideas are fun to talk about, but I don't believe they have any basis in fact. There are many things we don't understand, and much to learn, and the use of the scientific method will slowly reveal more to succeeding generations. I'd love to see what the current thoughts will be in 2202 or 2622 -- if mankind is still around.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2002, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I shudder to think that in order to be creative I would have to live in turmoil the rest of my life.... -- Margaret
I shudder to think that also, Margaret. I think there's a possible simple way to explain the situation -- when you and other creative people are enjoying happy, comfortable times, there are many directions for your energies to turn -- family, friends, interesting events going on about you, etc. This decreases your FOCUS on your creative writing interest. When difficult times erupt, your FOCUS returns to your writing as a method of dealing with those difficult issues -- (avoiding them, or working through them with your creativity). Now, if that is true, it's just a matter of learning to FOCUS on your writing even when you could be doing other fun things -- like visiting RetouchPRO, etc.

...and I just need to FOCUS on fruits and vegetables instead of ice cream...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2002, 12:53 PM

CJ - hmmm...a real life journey to the center of the earth. I think I will keep my money! 100 grand in donations...wow! If he can get money for that, we should put up a website- "Members of Retouchpro seek Atlantis...need donations!"

Quote:
I'd love to see what the current thoughts will be in 2202 or 2622 -- if mankind is still around.
I wish I could be around for that as well...although, as you say, there might not be anyone around. There are a few scientists who speculate that the reason programs like SETI have not been successful in finding ET, is that advanced civilizations tend to destroy themselves once they acquire technology like the A-bomb. Hopefully humanity can get through this period without destroying everything...but I have my doubts. (pessimistic mood today)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2002, 03:19 PM

Unhappy

Margaret
That was a very interesting observation you made between turmoil and creativity. Perhaps when our lives are in turmoil we need to escape and one positive way of doing it is through the imagination. Get below the radar of our conscious mind and let our intuition guide us. Sometimes if it feels right it is right. We (and I'm talking about myself here) get so caught up in all of the "shoulds" in life that we often don't take the time to dowhat those things that brings us the greatest satisfaction. ....at long last I'm really learning to say no and focus on what's important to me.
Greg
Don't you think perhaps the "winds of war" swirlling around us may be contributing to the feeling of unease that I've observed a number of folks are feeling. I've know I've been in an antsy mood the last week. By the way, I was listening to some congressman on tv ( don't remember who) talk about the readiness of the military and if we would ever need a draft again. Anybody know what age men( and I assume woman as well today) would be drafted at if it comes to that?
Paulette
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2002, 03:43 PM

Paulette,

This is from the U. S. Selective Service's website as of today --

"The Selective Service System remains in a standby, caretaker status. On Friday, March 15, 2002, in response to a question about the draft, President Bush stated that "the country shouldn't expect there to be a draft." He also stated that "the volunteer army is working ... and people shouldn't worry about a draft."

It would take legislative action by the Congress and implementation by the President to reinstate a draft in an emergency.

...young men are reminded that they are required by existing Federal law to register with Selective Service within 30 days of their 18th birthday. Late registrations are accepted, but not if a man is 26 years old or older."

IF the draft was re-instated: "For a conventional draft of "untrained" manpower, a man is in the first priority group for a possible draft during the calendar year of his 20th birthday."

"For women to be required to register with Selective Service, Congress would have to amend the law."
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2002, 03:50 PM

CJ
Thanks for the prompt response. As you may have guessed we have a son who we were thinking about.
Paulette
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon