RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Photography

Old 09-24-2002, 09:53 AM

Quote:
some of the best advice I ever got (that I actually followed), was to create a photo log sheet
Excellent point, Danny, and a great way for someone to learn. David, remember that slide film will show you exactly what you shot (not enough light due to choice of aperature/shutter speed -- image too dark, etc.). This is important when you're learning the basics. You don't need a slide projector to view your slides -- a light table would be great, but a small hand viewer will work also. Once you have learned to make properly exposed images, you can decide to shoot print film or keep shooting the "chromes"....or more likely, switch to digital. But you'll have the basics down, and then it's all up to your vision.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2002, 01:30 PM

those are some really good suggestions, I'll definitely have to try those out. thanks!

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2002, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by d_kendal
wow, thanks for all the info everybody, I've got lots to go on now! I want to get an SLR camera so it's great to get all the info about those camera's. I'm on a tight budget so i'm definitely looking at the used market, and so the info about what are good older used cameras is a big help (in the local "bargain finder" I saw a few AE-1's and lots of others like it so it shouldn't be too hard to find one). The list of books looks great Jak, thanks!

- David

Don't forget to check Ebay for equipment and books.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2002, 02:09 PM

good suggestion steve, thanks.

the books I ended up getting were, "Basic photography" by Micheal Langford (thanks for the recommend clara, it's a great book) and he "Canon EOS Rebel 2000" put out by Magic Lanter Guides.
I also found out that my dad has an old Pentax SLR camera, complete with a flash and zoom lens. I'm really excited to start trying it out.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2002, 04:08 AM

That "old" camera is probably the K1000 model that Ed & Greg were referring to. That really was a tough camera. You'll learn a lot using it.

Good luck
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2002, 05:13 AM

Talking

Glad you found the basic photography book of interest. I still use them and I've had the pair for about 10 years. I think those reference books we all go back to again and again are worth the inicial price. I've bought so many books over the years only to read parts of them once and then they just gather dust on my book shelves - then I just think - I wish my library had this one and had saved me the expence!

I bought a Minolta fully automatic auto focus camera a few years ago, I long for a fully manual camera. I bought this to replace my aged OM10 which saw me all the way through my college, but died unexpectedly I know it wasn't the best camera but it was my first!

One of the most useful experiments I found whilst learning photography was the zone system. It just made me realise how much you can manipulate the image without a computer - and get fantastic results.

Please keep us posted as to how you get on - good luck in your studies.

Have you built a box camera? Always fun and extremely cheap! The results can be quite good - I've got a list of exact messurements somewhere if you want to give it a go. Just yell.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2002, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigAl
That "old" camera is probably the K1000 model that Ed & Greg were referring to. That really was a tough camera. You'll learn a lot using it.

Good luck
I don't think that's the one, but I can't remember the exact name of it so I'll have to check.

Clare - the box camera project sounds extremely interesting, since I want to learn more about the workings of a camera, so if you could post more details I'd really appreciate it. thanks for the idea!!!

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2002, 04:46 PM

Dave after this avalanche of advice have you pointed the camera at anything yet ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2002, 09:08 PM

Your discovery of your Dad's old camera reminds me of a funny story my wife told me...she took a basic photo class in college and her Dad mentioned an old camera he had. Turned out to be a Leica!

Chris is right...load that thing up with film and start experimenting!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2002, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chris h
Dave after this avalanche of advice have you pointed the camera at anything yet ?
actually, not yet. I got permission from him to start trying it out, but I need to find a new battery for it (I hope the kind of battery it uses is still available - the camera is from about 1970)

Greg - wow, that would be a *really* nice surprise!

- David
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon