RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Photography

Old 10-16-2002, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by d_kendal
actually, not yet. I got permission from him to start trying it out, but I need to find a new battery for it (I hope the kind of battery it uses is still available - the camera is from about 1970)

Greg - wow, that would be a *really* nice surprise!

- David
Try this.

http://www.batteries.com/ or this http://www.photobattery.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2002, 05:57 AM

Dave,

I would think that the metering on the Pentax will be not be as integral to the functions on the camera as the present day models so you could probably use it without the metering system and it'll still have manual film wind/mechanical shutter etc.
Stick in a roll of 400 iso film set the shutter to 250 at f8 or f11 and snap away. Any modern film processing regime will cope with variations within this exposure range and even the depth of field(area in focus) will be quite flexible.

A Pentax is a much nicer camera to use than any Nikon or Canon of that decade and the Takumar lenses were excellent. Just go out with the standard lens to start with so your not chopping and changing all the time and can get on with taking snaps instead of being equipment orientated like most amateurs.

Cheers...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2002, 08:57 AM

David,

I can't at the moment find the book that I was refering to. Its one of those tiny ones thats ment to be kept in your camera bag or become eternally lost on a book shelf. I'll keep looking though.

I have found some web sites that might be of interest though

www.mrpinhole.com
www.pinholeresource.com

and another that contains all sorts of interesting photography info

www.photographytips.com

This one has a section on pin hole cameras that include how to make one. I made my first with an old shoe box.

I don't know if you have a dark room - probably not as you are just starting out. A black and white darkroom of this sort is quite cheap to set up, as you don't need an enlarger - just a few trays to develop the print in, or check out your local schools and colleges, most would probably be willing to give access to you, just tell them how mad you are about photography.
Also check out local camera clubs, when I first started loads of people from the local camera club donated things (filters, enlargers, darkroom gear, etc.) to my education. To them it was fantastic to beable to share some of there information with a future photographer.

Good luck and I will keep looking for the book
Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2002, 10:04 PM

thanks Clare, the sites you recommended look really interesting. I'm lucky, my aunt and uncle run a little publishing company and they have a really nice darkroom which I could use sometimes.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2002, 10:15 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
David, don't do it!! We might not hear from you for a month or so at a time if you get in the darkroom. The first time I saw an image pop in the developer (B&W), I was hooked.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2002, 04:44 PM

thanks for the warning Ed!

I finally figured out what kind of camera it is: it's a Pentax Asahi Spotmatic
I 'm going to look for a new battery for it today.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2002, 04:16 PM

Hi David,

I remember this Pentax, my dad had one as well.

Glad to hear you have access to a darkroom. I agree with ed once you see your first image develop you will be hooked. It took me about 3 years to get back out of the darkroom! I now nearly always print in colour, for some freak of nature I find this easier... I never understood this.

I would be really interested to see any of the images you produce and if you get the pinhole going please post your results.

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2002, 04:50 PM

Dave, A useful piece of kit for the outdoor snapper, plenty of room for instruction manuals and no punctures!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg handcart.jpg (20.1 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2002, 08:16 PM

great pic. where did you come across it?

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2002, 02:09 PM

I am biased towards Canon because that is what I have used for years ( Rebel and EOS-7). I also know a well-known (locally) photographic aritst who could afford anything she wanted and she carries her Canon Rebel 2000 all over the world with her.

As far as education goes books will help but I would suggest you look into basic photo courses in the Art dept of local community colleges. the formality and structure will drive your learning at a much faster rate than just reading a book. IMHO

KTM
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon