RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Time for a change?

Old 04-11-2017, 03:36 PM

Re: Time for a change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
I can talk specifically about the US. In the US, you would need a class of immigration visa that comes with work authorization. This usually means employer sponsorship, which is expensive and takes a certain amount of time. My remark was that no one is going to hire a retoucher under those terms. You certainly aren't scaring anyone away with your salary requirements.

Most of these places are smaller non-corporate shops, not huge ad agencies. They generally don't even have the resources or attention span for this type of thing. As I mentioned, most would leave the position open rather than deal with sponsorship issues. In fact they won't even cover relocation expenses within the US. There are sometimes certain exemptions and things, but none that I can think of apply to your situation.
That makes sense. I don't think of as a temporary work as immigration, that's for sure.

Quote:
Those are quite different. You're talking about much larger (regional to international) companies in most cases with large numbers of workers.
I'd say half/half, at least judging by my friend's experience. Of course not everyone cares about the US(and neither do I), people live all over. Especially with how things are developing within the States right now. I can find work in Arab countries, but their law system, way of life, the heat!

Quote:
Well yeah, I can't do anything more than that. I haven't provided an inaccurate depiction of the US (especially California) though.
You are from California, so you obviously know how things are there. I would much rather work in Canada, as I hate the warm climate, but there is no retouching there.

Quote:
I'm not surprised.

120k is unlikely in California unless you're freelance with strong clientele. It could happen in NYC or similar on salary, but I mentioned the typical issue. The market can support a certain number of people at that rate, which is most likely lower than it was 10-15 years ago.
I'm definitely not demanding that much. I'd say it's a pretty common occurrence, but certainly not for retoucher-only jobs.

Quote:
If you look at the archives, you'll see people discuss California and that the numbers tend to be significantly lower than NYC or similar. The cost of living was also lower at one point. In the last 10 or so years, it has greatly outpaced salary growth.
Like I'd said, I'd much rather be somewhere where it snows, then bake and sweat all day long.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2017, 08:44 PM

Re: Time for a change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
That makes sense. I don't think of as a temporary work as immigration, that's for sure.

I'd say half/half, at least judging by my friend's experience. Of course not everyone cares about the US(and neither do I), people live all over. Especially with how things are developing within the States right now. I can find work in Arab countries, but their law system, way of life, the heat!
I can only speak for the US. There are different classes of visas. There are student visas. There are different visa types for skilled or unskilled workers and others if you wish to open a business in the US, assuming you meet certain requirements.

As for the present nonsense in US politics, I'm not happy about it either.

Quote:
You are from California, so you obviously know how things are there. I would much rather work in Canada, as I hate the warm climate, but there is no retouching there.
There are a couple guys from Canada on the board. Hopefully one of them will chime in regarding their experiences. I'm judging from a few things including my own experiences and updates in linkedin profiles, indicating that people who did retouching work now do similar roles but not exactly that.

Quote:
I'm definitely not demanding that much. I'd say it's a pretty common occurrence, but certainly not for retoucher-only jobs.
Yeah. I don't think it has anything to do with salary demands. The last work you showed me was very nice, so I also doubt it's that. I think it's more an issue of being a very non-local candidate without a reference from someone that they know.

Quote:
Like I'd said, I'd much rather be somewhere where it snows, then bake and sweat all day long.
There are parts of the US that get really cold in the winter, but they're terrible in the summer.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon