RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Tick, Tick, Tick...

Old 10-06-2002, 06:26 AM

Although it is a little too slow lately, I actually enjoy the smaller group. People can get lost in the crowd on bigger sites. Plus they get mobbed with spam and one word replies and threads that get way off base. It gets old searching through millions of messages to find one piece of relevant information.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2002, 07:29 AM
Janitor

Don't forget that a number of posts per day that used to appear here are now appearing over in the new Challenge area of the Gallery and don't show up as 'new posts'.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2002, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Flame suit on...
Ummmm..... No one here at RP owns a flame thrower....

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2002, 09:53 AM
Janitor

Jak:
You are correct, and I personally feel that's one of the reasons we haven't 'caught on' like other sites. And, if that is the case, I couldn't be happier about it.

99% of the internet is built around profit, controversy, and conflict, and we're a good-sized portion of the remaining 1%.

Toad:
One of the things people overlook is that, besides the nearly 1000 registered users and the 100 or so that post regularly, is that we get over 16,000 unique visitors per month. They come, get what they need (or don't), and leave, without registering or actively participating.

I get lots of email with questions and comments from people that simply won't participate in forums, for their own reasons. While for many the forums are what this site is about, it's actually only one of many areas.

Plus we do have a limited niche, and some might feel we've already covered. I don't, but I can see how some might.

Bottom line is that it's up to each individual to form what they want. The vast majority are reactive, not proactive, at least in this context, so step up and start a thread about what you want to discuss.

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 10-06-2002 at 10:13 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2002, 10:22 AM

Hi all!

Large forums can be nice but a person can also get bogged down with to many posts. Try missing a few days at Adobe and you will be buried with post that you probably wont have time to read. I really like the friendly people and the great threads here. Bigger is not always better.

Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2002, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I personally feel that's one of the reasons we haven't 'caught on' like other sites
I had the same thought yesterday when this thread first popped up. I subscribe to some newsgroups, and I think that many (not all) of the people that frequent the groups really get off on the conflict there. Nasty little jabs, flame wars, lots of arguements and name calling...

Maybe people are displaying the agressive unpleasant side of themselves that they just can't put out there in polite real time society. Or, maybe they're just really like that in real life (scary thought).

The conflict seems to attract a lot of attention and have more than its share of participants, though. I tend not to get into too awfully many "conversations" in those places. Mostly, in as few words as possible, I just suggest that people come here if they want to know or learn something. I never feel safe saying much or fully participating in those other places.

One thing I've learned in my life is that it's not the quantity of the friends that you have that counts, it's the quality. I'd much rather be here with the few existing nice people than anywhere else on the net.

In real life, I can quickly get agressive or catty if I don't watch myself. I've always been that way, and it's a part of myself I don't particularly like. I feel much better about myself when I'm being a nice person. I think being nice is good for the soul somehow. This place (hopefully) brings my best side forward and reminds me every day to watch how I act, and that reminder spills over into real life, which (for me) is one of the best incidental benefits of being here...

As far as being reactive and not proactive - that's me!

When I'm logged on here, unless someone is asking me a question or there's a thread going that I'm participating in, I'm usually doing other things. Working on jobs, doing challenges, searching the web for info, etc. Sometimes, I'm not even at my computer at all even though I'm logged in. I leave it on when I'm at home and always have at least one RP browser window open. I'm not much of a thread starter myself, but I'll jump into a conversation if it looks interesting or if there's a difficult image someone needs help with (my very favorite kind of thread!).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2002, 04:24 PM

somtimes I still feel a little intimidated when I post but that's just me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2002, 04:39 PM

I agree with you Jakaleena. Many people on those sites act like they are the experts and how dare you ask such a simple question. It's impossible for them to answer without a snide superior answer. I feel we all have our areas of expertise. If I need an answer to a ? or can provide an answer, it is up to me to ask or answer with understanding and niceness(is that a real word?) or else just butt out.

Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2002, 04:47 PM

Sanda, dont feel intimidated. I enjoy your posts. By the way, how is the fruitcake coming? Will you be able to make enough for all the members? The holidays are just around the corner.

Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2002, 04:47 PM

I wonder if you went to one of those more "popular" (?) forums or the newsgroups and eliminated everything mean, nasty and unpleasant how many legitimate posts would be left?

I think we're doing ok here...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon