RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Tick, Tick, Tick...

Old 10-06-2002, 05:52 PM

Well, seeing how I started this thread - I guess that it is time to weigh in again...

What I am hearing is that:

(a) Quality of posting is more important than quantity

(b) People (most but not all) seem to be generally satisfied with the number of posts that occur here on a daily basis.

(c) If an increase in the number of posts means potentially attracting nasty people, that would be a bad thing.

(d) There are lots of people using the site resources - but not posting regularly.

These statements are all totally legitimate.

My concern is two-fold.

The primary reason that I visit forums - rather than merely reading photoshop tutorials on-line is for the free flow of ideas and images - the difference between a conversation and an explanation. I think that a large number of regular posts is the best way to get that free flow jump-started.

My second concern is perhaps less important, but still real. I have examined the galleries here in detail over the last few days, and I have found some amazing images that have, in some cases, been posted for 4-6 months without a single comment. When a person posts their work in a public forum, they are stepping way out on a limb - exposing their personal "art" and talent to an audience that can choose to laud it or flame it. It is a big risk for a person, and it must be terribly demoralizing to post an image that you have labored over, and have it pass totally without comment.

In order to develop a sense of community, I think that we owe it to ourselves to post regularly, and encourage forum growth. But that is just my opinion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2002, 06:39 PM

Bob
I usually start soaking the fruit in brandy late November, it soaks for about 2 weeks, depending on my available time, before I make the cake.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2002, 06:41 PM

Hi Toad and all
I think that since this site is somewhat specific in it's purpose, it's posts tend to be scattered. Some threads are responded to on a dialy basis, while others may lay dormant for a few weeks. When I discovered the salon forum, I enjoyed the many different topics I found and did respond to a few. One I actually revived from the dead!! Most of us respond to the artistic sections more often that the social, after all this is a photo site. But when we have time the salon is jumping...well, maybe hopping . An interesting point can be found at the bottom of the main forum page. Highest number of members on at once was Aug. 30, before that, was a date earlier the same month. Says a bit about our free time.
I joined in July and am nearing 100 posts myself. Looking over my threads, when I was off, they were scattered throughout the day. Now that I'm back to work, I only have a little time at night, and it shows. However, in the last 2 weeks, I have received over 25 replies to a post requesting help. That's when we really see the members jump
So hang in there Toad, as stated, start a post about your interests and maybe others will join in. If not start another one. This place is full of interesting good people and I'm glad here.
Read and respond, I've learned more about Zimbabwe than you could shake a stick at...
You're right about the images though. Seems the same people respond to the work submitted. I am one of the guilty ones..but I try to comment as often as I can. I think some people don't feel qualified to comment, but soon they'll realize that everybody's comments are appreciated.
Stick around and have fun.
Debbie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2002, 09:20 PM

Toad,
To address the Gallery issue, it looks like it's part of the forum and main pages but unfortunately it's a totally different program with different limitations. One of which is not being e-mailed regularly if members answer your post so you can respond as you would this forum. I don't know that that can be changed. Also being that it's seperate you have to go specifically to it and alot of members don't always frequent it like they do the main forum. I try to check them and the new challenge entries on a regular basis because I feel the same as you. It's a shame to see some of the work go unnoticed. It would greatly help if you would go there and encourage other like you're doing to visit there regularly also. I did see where you uploaded some cool images.

Also, I might point out that you're doing pretty good here. You made it to 2 pages of comments.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2002, 10:49 PM
Janitor

If you see an image with no comment, make a comment, even if it's just to say "yes, I saw this one"
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2002, 07:03 PM

Another benefit of posting a lot of messages...

I notice that I am now a "Member" instead of a "Junior Member".
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2002, 07:11 PM

Congratulations on your "promotion"
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2002, 08:23 PM

Post lots - post often.

It is it's own reward.

Check it out - a member less than a month - and a "Senior" Member already.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2002, 09:56 PM

this place is really aging you ,

Hey Jak,
I like the new avitar.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2002, 10:03 PM

Thanks Sanda

It's just my Halloween costume (from the Graveyard game of Art Tag...)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon