RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Car from my gallery image "Discovery"

Old 10-10-2002, 02:59 AM

Car from my gallery image "Discovery"

A couple of people asked about the car, so here is the original scan. This is from a huge group of Kodachromes that my Great Grandfather took during his various travels around the world (he was a bit of photography nut! ) The car is a Lancia...well...at least the hubcaps are!

The slide was scanned with an Epson 2450, which has really been a workhorse for me...and gives pretty sharp scans. I have not cleaned the dust from this yet. In fact all the color correction and contrast adjustments were done in the scanning software. (Silverfast)...makes life much easier when you can do some of the correcting prior to the scan!

Not sure where this was taken...Italy or southern France? The woman in the back seat is my great grandmother...she does not look real happy to me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roadster.jpg (93.5 KB, 168 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2002, 03:02 AM

Very cool car (and photo), Greg. "They don't make 'em like they used to" certainly applies here!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2002, 03:05 AM

Neat pictures...

Nice scan. Is your Epson a photo scanner or is it a scanner with an attachment for slides? I'm interested in the software used (Silverfast) can you elaborate a bit.

Lisa
P.S. No turkey tonight - huh!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2002, 03:17 AM

No turkey Lisa! ...actually (and this might sound strange) I am getting used to this schedule. I have done my best work, digital or otherwise, in months. I seem to go to sleep around 4, sleep for 4 hours and then get up...later in the afternoon I sleep another 3-4 hours. Weird...but seems to get the creative juices flowing.

The Epson is a flatbed with a slide adapter built into the lid. Barry Fairclough wrote a review here ... I strated to work on one as well that focused on Silverfast...just have not finished it yet! For a flatbed, it gives very sharp scans and after switching from the Epson Twain to Silverfast I have been been getting great color...even on these ancient Kodachromes. I'll see if I can get my Silverfast review done within the next week or so.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2002, 03:35 AM

Thanks Greg,

I have a flatbed scanner with a slide attachment - HP Scanjet 5470c. It's not bad for scanning negatives and so so for scanning slides. I think a flatbed scanner has limitations. I've scanned over 100 or so kodachome slides from the late 50's early 60's. The dust is a real pain to deal with.

As far as your sleep pattern goes... It's not good. I'm sure you feel you get a lot of work done this way - I thought the same. I was so desperate for quiet time with no interuption - that I trained myself to actually come alive at 11:00. I found it to be hard on my body after a while. I would go to bed between 1:00-3:00 and then have to get my girls off to school - which meant I had to wake up at around 7:00. By lunch time, I was ready for a nap. I never really had more than 4 hours in a stretch (that was the most at night). I ended up being very run down. It really was a vicious cycle. I realize as we get older, we require less sleep. I've read that 6 hours is sufficient. I just know for me, I was never getting a full 6 hours and after a while the sleep deprevation really got to me. Be careful - please.

Lisa
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2002, 03:47 AM

Lisa - The Epson 2450 is really the best consumer level flatbed I have seen for slides and negs. 2400 dpi probably has something to do with it...and I think Epson really went all out to try and capture the amatuer / semi-pro market. I actually use it more for scanning artwork and objects than slides...and it REALLY shines when scanning 3d objects.

The sleep thing probably will catch up to me...but hopefully not before I can get all my slides of artwork out to galleries!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2002, 03:49 AM

Could you zoom in on the badge above the radiator grill? Would be interesting to see if you can read that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2002, 03:55 AM

blown up 200% and over sharpened...can't really make out much...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roadstergrill.jpg (40.3 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2002, 04:08 AM

I found this site which has a whole host of Lancia models. (look under models - one of those sites which hijack everything in your browser )
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2002, 04:10 AM

Ha! just found the exact same site! ...can;t find the model but it is a Lancia front grill - http://www.omicron.uk.com/lanciacent...sc/aprilia.jpg
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon