RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Any mountain bikers?

Old 10-27-2002, 09:28 PM

And we haven't even discussed the possibility of getting radiation burns from your computer monitor.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2002, 06:37 AM

My bike shop will let me "borrow" a bike for the weekend to try it out. They've sold a lot of bikes this way.

Biking shorts are another option along with gloves and helmet. Generally my minimum bike ride is two hours. Those padded shorts help out a lot.

Bike brands are like automobiles. Everyone has a favorite. My two bikes are made by Trek based in Wisconsin.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2002, 11:21 PM

doesn't have to be expensive... wal-mart sells a nice aluminum frame mongoose with front and rear shocks for under $200 now.... ... 10 years ago it would have cost me $250 just for the front shock.. an inexpensive way to see if you'd actually enjoy it... Must say I miss the bike trails of so. fla... ( ok.. so there were no mountains )
RonDon
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2002, 12:18 AM

Rondon, I would caution against taking a Walmart bike on anything too technical. They're fine for dirt roads that a regular car can drive on or on fairly flat trails. However, I've heard horror stories from bike mechanics of cheaper bikes literally breaking in two pieces on the trail because they're not really made to take a lot of abuse. (They may look the same as more expensive bikes, but they're not made the same.)

In any case, you're right that it doesn't have to be expensive. There are some shops that sell used bikes (traded in by someone buying a new bike). If you're planning to doing distance riding though, it really pays to be properly fitted for a bike by a trained bike mechanic. That doesn't mean it has to be a new bike - just that a bike is adjusted to fit your proportions. Trust me, your body (esp. your knees and back) will thank you!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2002, 04:54 AM

I've little experience of mountain bikes but have several bespoke road/touring bikes mainly in 531 or Columbus tubing. The thing that amazes me over here is the number of people I see using mountain bikes for road touring. I see a lot of people doing our end to end trip (southermost tip of England to the northermost point in Scotland) using mountain bikes, it must be absolute torture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2002, 09:15 AM

well I dunno jeanie ... I mentioned it was a mongoose.... not top of the line but not the worst either...

I bought one years ago at a bike shop in west palm beach... still going strong over 10 years later... It was $300 then with no shocks, steel frame .

bikeshops have huge mark ups... might be worth it to anyone who expects to need service .. although that can be expensive...

variety is a good reason for the shops though..

but for anyone who ventures out to browse .... check the prices on even the low end aluminum bikes with front and rear shocks...

under $200 might be a good way for those not sure how long their interest will remain.

cheap enough to give away later... either way

as I approach 60 those old style "beach cruisers" start looking good... sitting upright.. fat tires ... not for speed but then... the race was over years ago... those can have a few gears too for the hills..

RonDon
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2002, 06:14 AM

I'm waiting for a bicycle report back from Greg.
Good? Bad? You've gotta be crazy to do this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2002, 02:22 PM

Have not had the chance to get the bike yet...too cold to ride anyway! I'm looking at a used Trek. My wife has a very basic Giant - Boulder SE that seems to be decent quality for the price...might go with one of those as well. I'm not going to be leaping off cliffs anytime soon, so no need to spend thousands on a Titanium bike or dual suspension...

Rondon - Anything with front and back suspension for under $200 has to be of suspect quality. I doubt it would last long even on an easy track!

Chris - No riding on the road for me! I'm more afraid of cars than I am of rocks and trees!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2002, 06:20 AM

This sounds like a "I'm waiting till spring" excuse. Nice thing about the Dallas area is that I can bike year round.

A couple of years ago I was in Iowa for a week to take care of an aunt of mine. She'd just gotten out of the hospital and needed a little help. Anyway one morning I was driving over to her house and it was -10 degrees with about a foot of snow on the ground. I see some guy all bundled up riding his mountain bike. Now that's too COLD.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2002, 01:25 AM

well jeaniesa .. yours was the 3rd little bit of snobbery I've
run across here... and call it my weakness if you will, but with little I can do about it ... I vote with my feet...

in truth my little mongoose wasn't a mountain bike it was a hybred... mt/racing bike... in the few short months I traversed the rocky slopes of west palm with it .... few passed it... and no one stayed ahead of it..

but in earlier years I fashioned (but alas didn't patent) a truely superior mt. bike... attached you'll find a photo of me just prior to my decent of mt. awakening..

RonDon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rdy_fr_th_plunge.jpg (37.4 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon