Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

My favorite holiday (BOO!)

Old 11-01-2002, 02:04 AM
Hey BigAl,
Yeah we celebrate it over here in England pretty much the same way they do in the US, costumes, trick or treat etc, but from what i've seen from the television the adults in the US get more involved than they do over here which is a shame really because it looks more fun when everybody is involved.

We seem to pull together more for Bonfire night (nov 5th) where everyone sets off fireworks all night and lights huge fires in controlled surroundings (usually!) Its to celebrate the night a man called Guy Fawlks nearly blew up our Parliment buildings although why we celebrate that i'm not sure, still its a good excuse for a party.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2002, 02:14 AM
Believe it or not, Bandit, Guy Fawkes is still celebrated down here as well, but not as widely as in the past. (I'm actually quite glad that it's disappearing as animals usually suffer with the noise from fireworks.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2002, 02:22 AM
Hi again,
Yeah good point and your always gonna have sick people who deliberately cause the suffering so maybe a good start would be to only sell the fireworks to people with licence such as event organisers.
In fact i've got a better idea why don't we celebrate Guy fawlkes with beer and pitza instead.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2002, 05:24 AM

Its said with irony that Guy Fawkes was the only man to go to Parliament with honest intentions!!
I celebrate Haloween here by setting the dogs on any trick or treaters in the traditional fashion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2002, 06:50 AM
I live in Norway, and we do have beutiful fall weather her now; Cold, sparkling blue sky, leaves falling off the trees, etc.

Halloween though, is not traditionally celebrated here. But, from getting english and american programs on the tv, movies, internet, it's starting to grow here too. We have a few kids in the neighbourhood going trick and treating, and even our good friends and neighbours(the grownups) came on the door dressed up asking for candy

This year I took an alian mask I have, and gave it a black wig, placed it on a glass head with light behind it, in the window right over our entrance door. I DID manage to scare them

But, to give you an impression of how uncommon it still is here; Some kids went trick or treating a place up north. They had really dressed up, with scary masks and all. They rang on a dorr where a family lived. The father came out with a shoe in his hand hitting one of the kids really hard It's all over the newspapers today; he say both he and his family got really scared and was just defending themself. The kid wasn't really hurt, but got a bit scared. They want to sue though(another american tradition we rapidly adapt too

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2002, 09:46 AM
I think traditions that are generally fun for kids and family are usually spread very fast. Sorry to hear about the poor kid that got hit on the head though. I guess I can't blame the guy for doing it since it's not a wide spread tradition as of yet. Acutally it's not even an American tradition. It started in Ireland with the Celts and their Druid ceremonies and somewhere along the line got a Christian association buy being the eve before All Saints Day or All Hallows Day as it was called. We Americans just revamped it and made it more fun.

Halloween didn't become an adult holiday until the Baby Boomers who grew up trick or treating decided they didn't to give up on their childhood fun. It's only been the last 20 or 30 years that adult parties have taken off. I love making costumes and have made several that won contests. My son wanted me to make them every year for him after he won his first costume contest.

Guy Fawlkes seems like a fun celebration but I suspect the Fire Marshals here have enough of a time keeping up with the fires on the 4th of July.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon