RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

How Often ?

Old 11-03-2002, 02:54 PM

How Often ?

So, how often do you visit this site, make a comment or post here?

How much have you learned here?

I check the site several times a day, often add comments but rarely post an example.

Cannot measure the amount of knowledge I have gained here, I do know that when I am in class and relate something I have learned or recommend the site to another student they are overwhelmed by it. Better than any book or class I have had so far.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2002, 03:19 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I agree. Much better than reading a book or something. I visit the site usually 2 - 4 times per day. I've also learned a lot. When I first came on the site, I didn't even know how to use a layer mask. You'd be surprised just how much you've learned in a fairly short time here. Of course, I still don't know what I'm doing!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2002, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Better than any book or class I have had so far
- platscha

I agree. Here you get to read what someone did to get an effect, see the effect, ask them how they acheived the effect, AND then practice the effect yourself till you can add it to your toolchest. Even if it takes a while... there's no time limit on Challenges, and there's no time limit on learning here.

How often do I "visit" here?

I thought I LIVED here!

I post more often now than in the beginning -- I think that's typical (except for Toad and a few others who just jump right in ), especially now that I've learned to try out the mini-art challenges (3 cheers for Danny Raphael!) As far as posting images, I do that only in the challenges so far. I may start making use of the Gallery for other images of mine -- have to see if there's anything I like well enough to dare that.

How much have I learned? I've rambled on about that in previous posts, but the learning RATE just continues to stay steady -- with the addition of the photo art areas, I've learned more about what different filters and layer blends will do -- that I never would have tried in retouching or restoration work. Perhaps I'll never use that knowledge in image retouching for portrait/candid shots, but I will be able to use it in my desktop publishing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2002, 05:10 PM

Thanks for starting the thread platscha@cs.

I visit here every day because of the wealth of information that is avaliable in this site. I post where ever I feel I might help someone out or when I need help and have always found that the information given is good and have learnt so much I can't even begin to say where I am now compared to where I was.

C.S
Please up load some of your pictures to the gallery - I think this is a place to learn and help other artists. It is every enjoyable to visit the gallery and view others work and help when needed and congratulate when the fantastic work is shown. Everyone can share and learn - please.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2002, 07:24 PM

Since I'm blessed (or cursed) with an "always on" DSL connection, I visit the site 10-12 times/day... Not shy about posting as you probably know by now... Have learned more in less than 6 months (either directly or through links other folks have posted) at RP than in 2 years prior -- and have barely scratched the surface of that's available in the archives.

Grabbed a couple pretty good recipes from the Salon and avoided a couple clinker flicks = saved a lot of $$ based on RP movie reviews.

RP is rich in information and richer because of the folks who hang out here.

- - - - -
CJ: Thx for the 3 cheers. Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2002, 09:19 PM

RetouchPRO is my second home I always check out the posts in the forums here every chance I can get. I've probably learned about 95% of everything I know about photo editing from right here.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2002, 01:24 AM

At work, because we have a thick pipe internet connection, I usually have a Retouchpro browser active most of the day. I'm usually not shy to comment on things I know very little about
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2002, 06:12 AM

I'll visit a couple times a day but normally that's not enough. Too much valuble information here.

I've learned more since I joined in July than the previous two years.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2002, 09:56 AM

Well considering I top the list in the number of posts outdoing even Doug I think you pretty much know how many times I visit here a day. Need I say more? It's an addiction, what can I say

However, in my defense against being labeled a forum hog, I would add that alot of those posts were acrued by doing extensive work in cleaning up the challenges when we moved. I'm really not that talkative. REALLY
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2002, 02:28 PM

DJ -- most of your posts are responses to people's request for help, and positive critiques of their posted images -- NOT the habits of a "forum hog".

Thanks, DJ!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon