RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Making music files

Old 11-25-2002, 01:53 AM

David, you're right that mpegs (can't remember whether it's 1 or 2) will play, but the point I was trying to make is that the DVD player won't be able to play a Powerpoint presentation (or anything along those lines). So to view the pics they'd have to be turned into something that the DVD player will understand.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2002, 02:19 AM

oops, wasn't thinking and kinda missed the point of the thread there.. but yes, you're right for something like that, DVD would most likely be best (since on DVD's you can have chapters, and then you can just flip forwards and backwards through the photos with the DVD remote control or player controls)

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2002, 07:08 PM

Starting to have second thoughts about this project. What I wanted to do is be able to send CD's containing family pictures to some elderly aunts who do not have computers but who have Dvd
players. I thought it would make a nice Christmas gift for them.

Anyway, the more I'm looking into this the more I'm realizing is that this is going to be a entirely new learning experience re the world of dvd compatibility and video CD burning. Seems like it's even important re what brand of CD you choose as to whether or not it will work.

Will resume this project after the Thanksgiving holiday.Thanks to all for your help !

Paulette
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2002, 10:04 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
The project might be on hold, but thanks for bringing it up. I've been following the thread with interest.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2003, 01:58 AM

Brought this one back to life because of a mail to the Advanced-CDR list:
Quote:
I have been putting family photos on VCD to run through my TV via an inexpensive DVD with great results (better than the look on the computer screen, without program enhancement.
Sounds to me exactly what Paulette was wanting to do...

Check if your CD-burning software can create a VCD and try it. I'll keep the email and query the sender if anyone wants further info.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2003, 04:36 AM

Nero cd burner will check out a VCD or a SVCD for you - If you are adding sound it will need to be 44100Hz. 48000Hz will work in some dvd players but is not supported by all of them.

Audio grabber is a good program for gaining audio off a cd in digital format - this means you will not have to check you input levels and normalise the recording after you have captured it.

Shout if you need more info - I have created a few projects of this type - they are long winded and a learning curve but well worth the trouble

Hope this helps

C
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2003, 02:15 PM

Hi

Thanks for reviving the thread.

My burner is supposed to burn vcd's although I have not yet tried doing so. I know my dvd player plays vcd's because I can play a kodak picture disk on it.l have put the slide project on hold until I locate a slide program which does what I want.

I put together a slide show with audio using Power Point but it's not easily transferable. Bought a basic audio conversation program called MP3 Maker( Magix) which has helped me convert music files to the formats I needed. Also hooked up a mic so that I can narrate each slide.Seem to have the audio part under control now.

Any additional information along this line would be welcomed.
Paulette
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2003, 01:55 PM

Pictures to TV has a nice program that works well for most DVD players -- this writes CD to DVD
http://www.picturetotv.com/photodvd.htm?a=8765
bad news is the image quality can not compaire to your computer. Also a large show will take some time to format. Out of all the products I tried that claimed to write cd's to dvd format this one seemed to work the best --- priced around 40.00

Slide show for the computer my favorite is ProShow (I have ProShow Gold) also claims to write CD to DVD --- not very good, but I love it for my computer slide shows.

convert your audio files two good programs Cool Edit and Blaze Audio have both done me good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2003, 05:19 PM

I'm glad you guys kept this thread going. One of the projects I've been toying with is making slide shows for the family reunion we're having this summer. I use a Mac, so most of the apps you all have been discussion won't work for me, but someone mentioned "VCD" and that got me thinking.

I did a google for vcd mac and sure enough, it turned up Roxio Toast 5 - as luck would have it, I bought RT5 when I got my laptop - I was going to do lots of wonderful stuff, but to date I haven't even loaded the program

My slide show project has been on hold for a while, now I can revive it again.

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2003, 06:36 PM

Hi
The quest continues. Someone told me that Ulead has slide show software that appears to do what I want. Anyway the website offers trial downloads but the download time was so large I decided that I'd just look for it in the store. It's not very expensive( about $50) so I'll most likely give it a try.

Paulette
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon