RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

She just about cried

Old 12-22-2002, 08:05 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
She just about cried

I know I've brought this subject up before, but I think it's worth repeating.

My daughter, who is unable to have children of her own, started about 5 or 6 years ago, to buy Christmas gifts for children who wouldn't have much of a Christmas without someone helping. This year, she picked the names of 4 kids from the "Giving Tree". They were all from the same family, and she was going to get Christmas gifts for them. About a week ago, she called, telling us that she lost the names of the kids (very unlike her), and she couldn't find out who they were from the mall that handled the program (they had no records). She was obviously in pain! Here's a family of 4 kids who would not get the gifts she wanted to buy for them. I told her there was nothing that could be done, so she should just pick other names from the tree, and put that behind her. She is still having a very hard time with it. Since she started buying for other's kids, it's become a family tradition, although in it's very early years. Someone once said, "Why would you buy for someone you don't even know, when you don't have a lot yourself? After all, you can't change the world." My answer to that was that you CAN change the world, if only for one child, for one day. You still have three days to buy for someone you don't know. Take the plunge. You won't be sorry.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2002, 09:59 AM

Re: She just about cried

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed_L
Someone once said, "Why would you buy for someone you don't even know, when you don't have a lot yourself? After all, you can't change the world." My answer to that was that you CAN change the world, if only for one child, for one day. You still have three days to buy for someone you don't know. Take the plunge. You won't be sorry.

Ed
Ed, your daughter's sadness is understandable, but she has gone on to help other childen and that is wonderful. I admire her. This year, through my church, I discovered an organization in Albuquerque, NM which provides day care for homeless children ages 6 weeks to 5 years while their parents try to get their lives back on track. The very phrase "homeless children," the thought of babies and little kids being hungry, living in cars or on the street, smacks me right in the heart. I sent a donation to the organization in time for Christmas, but decided also to add them to my online banking to automatically receive a modest monthly check from me. At the end of the year these checks will add up to a larger amount than I can usually rustle up in a lump sum at the end of the year. If everyone does something, no matter how small, we can indeed help those who are struggling.

Thanks for posting this story. I wish you, your family, and everyone in this group all the blessings of the holiday season.

June
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon