RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Another Sad Day -- shuttle Columbia breaks up

Old 02-01-2003, 07:48 PM

Life is so strange. Here we all are anxiously waiting for Powell's speech at the UN this Wednesday and its ramifications and then we have this tragedy today. My heart goes out to their loved ones.

This morning will be another one of those times in your live when you recall exactly where you were and what you were doing when you heard the news.

This is such a reminder that we have to make every day count and never take anything for granted. The past is gone,the future has not arrived-all we really have is the present moment.

Paulette
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2003, 09:31 PM

It was a very strange feeling driving down the highway today and seeing a sign that read

"Call Police To Report Space Shuttle Debris"

I think President Reagan said it best back in 86

"We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, as they prepared for the journey and waved goodbye and 'slipped the surly bonds of earth' to 'touch the face of God.'

Last edited by Steve Taylor; 02-01-2003 at 09:58 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2003, 09:35 PM

I've heard it said that the Earth looks so peaceful when viewed from the window of the shuttle. It isn't until you break through the atmosphere that you see it's divided into areas of great turmoil. Maybe that's why we keep venturing into space. Maybe it gives us a better perspective on our Earth and what we're doing to it. I wish more people could see the Earth the way the astronauts do. It might change the way we see things when we return home.

God be with thier families during this terrible time of loss.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2003, 09:59 PM

17 years ago, when we lost the Challenger space shuttle and the bright young astronauts aboard her, then-President Reagan turned to this poem when looking for words with which to comfort us.

It is time once again...

"High Flight"

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee, Jr.
1922-1944

They left their families and loved ones far too soon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2003, 05:20 AM

It is very difficult on the NASA employees. My father works there and he raves constantly about what a great and bright group of people his coworkers are. They are so meticulous about every last detail, and feel such a tremendous responsibility, that it is just devastating to them, as you could probably see in the various news confrences. NASA is very much a family.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2003, 11:50 AM

Chiquitita, I can only imagine being involved in this mission, and then losing the people and the mission in the very last seconds before landing. From what I heard on the news, the shuttle was already in the part of the re-entry where NASA no longer has any control over the ship -- where they were helpless to do anything even if they had known exactly what went wrong - which would be even more heart-breaking.

I know they will figure out what happened, and make changes, but it will always be a dangerous job. Driving to the store is dangerous. Life is not easy; it is not eternal; but sometimes you wish that someone had gotten a chance to live more of it -- like these 7 young scientists.

Now, NASA and our government have to figure the best way to retrieve our astronauts still living in the International Space Station...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2003, 01:31 PM

re spacestation, I was watching CNN yesterday and they were talking about that issue, they said that they've got enough supplies to last until about June, and if anything is needed before then, the Russian space program is still running so they could send their Soyuz ship up.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2003, 04:50 PM

NASA was controlling the ship, however, with a mechanical failure, there isn't anything that can be done to help something like that. It is like if your brakes go out on your car. You are still controlling the car, but it is out of your control what happens mechanically. The design the shuttle to not have these types of problems, and like I said before, go over it meticulously. I think the Space program has had considerably few fatalities considering how many missions they have done.

The description I got from my father about what the landing site was like yesterday was pretty grim.

As far as the Space Station, there are several options, like David said, they have enough food till June - there is also an emergency escape ship attached to the station which can return them to earth if that necessary. I hope that NASA gets the shuttle program up and running again ASAP, much sooner than the 2 years it took for Challenger.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2003, 11:59 AM

Thanks to Chiquitita, I found this link:

Cartoonist reactions & tributes to the Columbia crew
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon