Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

A "Sappy" Post

Old 02-03-2003, 12:00 AM
A "Sappy" Post

I recently posted this on another forum. Due to recent events it seemed appropriate to put it here in the "Salon"area-

Not long after September 11th, my family visited Arlington National Cemetery. Unexpectedly, I was moved to tears by the "Changing of the Guard" at the "Tomb of the Unknown Soldier". My daughter took this picture nearby. I was later surprised at how well it captured the deep emotions and thoughts I had experienced there-

Solemnity, strength of our country, immovability of our convictions, darkness felt for the sacrifices made and the sunny blue skies of freedom behind our flag.

I know this sounds sappy- trust me- so often I feel disenfranchised by our government and am the first to criticize.
A quiet unhurried visit to Arlington gives one a new appreciation for perhaps things taken for granted and deeper respect for those who sacrificed all. It did for me.

On a lighter side, my daughter (17) often out does me and my D60 with her "hand me down" G1. :O)

Dizzy Art
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2003, 12:33 PM
Hi Ron,
Welcome to Retouch Pro. Hey that is an awesome shot! I agree with your description of the image. Kind of like the light at the end of a long dark tunnel. I think every American has criticized the government and probably pretty often but when the chips are down we seem to draw together like one huge family. Considering we all come from so many different walks of life, it's nice to know we can become so solidly united when our nation is threatened. I don't think it's sappy at all, just a nice sentiment of what it's like to be American.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2003, 05:39 PM
I cannot view the picture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2003, 06:09 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Welcome aboard Ron. After viewing your website, I'm under the impression that your daughter took lessons on capturing a feeling from a great teacher. That is an excellent shot. I thoroughly enjoyed viewing your work too. Each and every one of your shots brings with it, a feeling. Thanks for posting.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon