Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Professional, Amateur, Hobbyist?

View Poll Results: What sort are you?
Professional retoucher low-mid end 60 13.42%
Professional retoucher hi end 58 12.98%
Enthusiast/Hobbyist 301 67.34%
Other (please elaborate) 28 6.26%
Voters: 447. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-26-2004, 07:00 PM
im on my way into the photographpy buisness. i shoot all kinds of stuff. i do some retouch, but havent done any restorrations jet.

But i also just found the site so ill ´proberply learn alot of restorrations.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2005, 09:30 AM
Advice for going semi-pro?

After seeing this post I thought perhaps someone might give me advice. I live in a very small area that consists of tourists and families. We have an amazing 7 veterinary clinics and I would like to start a pet photography business. I want to only do painting; watercolor, impressionist etc. on a part time basis. Offer sittings, but also offer work to existing pictures. One of my best friends is the valleys best portrait it all looks possible for me. Any advice on fees, getting started, etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2005, 12:51 AM
I'm not a professional retoucher, but I am a pro photographer, and I'm getting more and more requests for retouching work, the usual things, uncle Georges wartime pic etc, etc.
I now find more of my time is being spent in the office on the PC, than actually shooting (not sure I like that?) it's reaching the point where I'm going to have to seriously consider reducing the number of weddings that we take on (I only have a small staff) to have the time to do all the post production, and retouching work. Wayne
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2005, 11:59 PM
I chose "other", because...

I'm a professional photographer, but get the control I want on my images via careful lighting and camera control, then the final work in Photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Hi Gang:

I am new to this site, but I have been retouching for over 20 years. I guess I would be considered a 'high-end' retoucher. If anyone is interested in my work, feel free to have a look! Enjoy.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2005, 08:05 AM
Yeh, well I had a look eh, and I could do that too eh

Not on your life. I have spent many happy hours doing things like removing a person from a photo or moving a window on the side of a house, but since I don't get paid for it, I kind of dropped it - you've reminded me that I should start doing it again just for the joy of doing it.

Wonderful work, Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2005, 10:51 AM
Moving towards Pro

I've loved photography since I was 14 (I'm now 50) and am transitioning away from my day job (advertising) to move completely to portrait photography.

I have done a few jobs that produced signed wall-sized portraits and that is where I want to concentrate.

I'm first and last a photographer, but much of my work involves placing my subjects into backdrops or situations that call for extensive retouching. I truly enjoy that part and want to keep that with me.

Printing, mounting and framing, I farm out. I also sometimes hire freelance stylists for hair, makeup, and clothing when the situation calls for it.

I love this site and have gotten terrific advice here.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2005, 07:43 PM
I know I know, several years later, and I'm just now posting AND am confused about hi-end, low-end. ::sigh::. I'm a tad slow.

I've been restoring photographs privately for a number of years now, and only went "Public" per say, after the Breck commercial effect kicked into high gear. The vast majority of my work involves vintage, antique/heirloom images. Usually 100+ years or older. Originally, I started as a consultant dating photographs for local heritage societies based on my knowledge of period clothing, backdrops, techniques, etc.

On a humorous note, Genealogy is a passion, and it got to the point where I couldn't walk into our local genealogy library without someone coming up to me and saying "aren't you that old photo lady?" Which, you know, as a Texan, you can take one of two ways

Photoshop was a tool for me initially, to clean off years of residue and contaminants, and take a look at what lay in wait under it, if anything. It evolved, photoshop evolved, and now.. here I am. I don't know if I'd be considered "hi-end", but my husband seems to think so!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2005, 03:13 PM
Thumbs down

Glenn /,

Your work is AMAZING. Your portfolio gives me something to aspire to! LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2005, 03:24 PM
I'm an "Other". I'm a professional, but true retouching is not in my portfolio although I've had to do some from time to time. Mostly manipulation, cleanup, color correction etc. are the work of the day and what pays the bills.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon