RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Professional, Amateur, Hobbyist?

View Poll Results: What sort are you?
Professional retoucher low-mid end 60 13.42%
Professional retoucher hi end 58 12.98%
Enthusiast/Hobbyist 301 67.34%
Other (please elaborate) 28 6.26%
Voters: 447. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2005, 07:44 PM

I am a professional photographer shooting RAW digital files on a Canon 10D and a 1D mark 2. I still shoot medium (6x4.5cm) and large format (4x5inch) film and scan the resulting slides or negatives on an Epson 4870 photo scanner. I use both Silverfast Ai and Vuescan scanning software.

All of my digital imaging is run through Adobe CS suite to prepare images for clients, web, pre-press and printing. I have some skills with PS and InDesign but they are all related either to photograph (re)production or pre-press layout and paste up.

I use a 3 stage sharpening workflow courtesy of Pixel Genius. I also use their PhotoKit and Photocolour software. They can be found at... http://www.pixelgenius.com/ and examples of their programs with test images can be found. they also have a good resources link here... http://www.pixelgenius.com/tipsandtechniques.html and you will see from the listed names that Pixel Genius is a collection of some of the planet's best known names in digital imaging circles.

I have used Convert to B&W pro from The Imaging Factory. However, I still prefer to use the Lab colour lightness channel technique of monochrome conversion. The Imaging Factory can be found here... http://www.theimagingfactory.com/ and you may find that they too are worth a visit.

Everything I use runs on a 17inch G4 1.33 Apple powerbook and 2GB of RAM with an external .5 TB firewire drive as the secondary scratch disk. All my images are archived to DVD. I use iView MediaPro to manage my image archives.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2005, 07:14 AM

Wow there is so much talent on this site!!

I am totally and Enthusiast/Hobbyist. We needed a new camera a few years ago, and my husband bought a digital. He is so sorry now . I fell in love with the thing. Someone told me to enter some pictures in the local Fall Fair, but being somewhat of a perfectionist, I needed help fixing a few things. I found this site - I'm hooked and now I spend far too much time checking things out. Most of the time I do retouching for family and friends. There is no money in that . My husband keeps telling me I need to put my new found love to use and make some money at it. (He is really very supportive of me, but he and my children also like dinner and clean laundry ) I think I need to learn to take better pictures in the first place, then I would not need to spend so much time fixing them.

Yeh!! Totally a Hobbyist.
Karyn
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2005, 03:54 PM

GuessI don't know where to class myself. I use PS at work professionally have done for years on and off. I work in design and engineering and I use it for presentation prep work, fixing images for video for use in premiere and after effects. A lot for web site design, mainly intranet. I also do product placement. Fix up scan work for ad's but also for use in CAD taken from designer sketches. But I never deal with a client who wants an image fixing it just part of my process to get my job done. At home I do a ton of PS work for fun, family friends and other web sites. I have been asked if I would do it as a job but I live in the US on a visa at present and so I cannot deviate from the work I do so for now those that know me get to barter for my work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2005, 08:44 PM

Hi Karyn and Creeduk, welcome aboard

Creeduk, I put you in the "pro" class. <wink> Sounds like you spend a lot of time pushing pixels.

Karyn... Anyone can take a picture. But making a photograph is truly an art. I'm still learning, but some key things to keep in mind... Capture a focal point, the textures, paterns, shapes, get a good (or unusual) angle, and, when dealing with people, capture personality. The history of photography, all the way back to the caveman who discovered phopherus on the walls of the cave generated "pictures" when lighted struck the surface, IS all about light. Not enough, too little, behind the subject, or at the wrong angle. Bend, stoop, twist and contort to get the shot. :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2005, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
Hi Karyn and Creeduk, welcome aboard

Creeduk, I put you in the "pro" class. <wink> Sounds like you spend a lot of time pushing pixels.

Karyn... Anyone can take a picture. But making a photograph is truly an art. I'm still learning, but some key things to keep in mind... Capture a focal point, the textures, paterns, shapes, get a good (or unusual) angle, and, when dealing with people, capture personality. The history of photography, all the way back to the caveman who discovered phopherus on the walls of the cave generated "pictures" when lighted struck the surface, IS all about light. Not enough, too little, behind the subject, or at the wrong angle. Bend, stoop, twist and contort to get the shot. :-)
Thanks Swampy I eagerly accept any hints or advice. After I have taken the picture, I know what I wanted it to look like. I need to take more time "looking" before I take the picture - just as you mentioned -light, angle, focal point etc. Thanks again for the help
Karyn
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2005, 03:25 PM

Much to my husband's despair I have yet to make any money doing retouch work. I am most interested in working with images of pets because it revolves around what I do "professionally" (veterinary technician). Plus you have to admit that they are pretty darn cute. I used to know my way around Photoshop 6.0 pretty well (although I am currently in need of a refresher course) and am interested in learning more about Painter. So much to learn, so little time! Luckily this forum makes things a bit easier.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2005, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
RE: Retouchers

Just trying to figure out who's who and what's what here at RP as I only found the site about an hour ago.

Where would you put yourself?
I'm actually a Letter Carrier by trade, an enthusiast photographer by hobby, and attempting to become a professional retoucher by education.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2005, 04:47 PM

I'm a professional photo retoucher, art and pre-press director. If I do my job correctly you won't even know I've touched the picture but it will look LOTS better than when you first saw it. I'd like to join in the challenges you have here - neat idea. I'm just usually too busy to take the time to do it.

I've used Photoshop professionally in college since 1991 or whenever v2.0 came out. I was an advertising major so I went in debt (temporarily) and bought a big scanner and really nice printer and had several people in my apartment complex paying me to do my magic and it helped pay for my Mac II fx, which at the time was a monster.

I found out my uncle was a professional decal installer and partially-owned a huge printing company. I moved up to work at his company. He left. I stayed. I'm still here. He's still gone.

We do a lot of large format print work and some design and consulting work for Fortune 500 companies.

I'm a hobbyist photographer.
Equipment includes a little Nikon N80, Kowa Super 66, Graphlex Graphic View 2 4x5 with Schneider optics, Beseler 45MXT II with Minolta 45a color head, Jobo CPP2 processor for E-6 (exclusively). I'd burn it all right now if a Canon 20D would drop out of the sky into my hands.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2005, 10:38 PM

Wbcarey

I am not a professional retoucher. I greatly admire the talent that is on this site.
My interest is as a hobbyist. My current position is operations manager for a photolab in california. I started working with photoshop around 1989 or 1990 as a manager in a prepress/service bureau. We became pretty adept at troupleshooting files prepared in quark,pagemaker,etc. The files where created by ad agencys and had imbedded eps files generated in AI, Freehand etc. At times it was a real nightmare. Our primary goal was to get them to image,sep and trap correctly when running down to our rips. Long nights to meet morning deadlines.I have strong troubleshooting skills with most of the Adobe Creative Suite and Quark as well as FCP but I am really a tech who loves to read sw manuals. (I know get a life) an artist I am not. I stayed in the pre-pres industry until 2000 when I went to work for Creo/Scitex as applications support. Lots of travel. I now have a nine to five job and can come home and enjoy working in PS. I check this site everyday and love to read and see what people are doing. It is great.
Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2005, 09:34 AM

for me....

just trying to improve my PS skills..

I've been playing with PS for 18 months and I just loving it...
Practicing, trying, playing...for the fun of it...

and getting better n better with retouchpro !
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon