RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Professional, Amateur, Hobbyist?

View Poll Results: What sort are you?
Professional retoucher low-mid end 60 13.42%
Professional retoucher hi end 58 12.98%
Enthusiast/Hobbyist 301 67.34%
Other (please elaborate) 28 6.26%
Voters: 447. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2003, 05:50 PM

Professional, Amateur, Hobbyist?

RE: Retouchers

Just trying to figure out who's who and what's what here at RP as I only found the site about an hour ago.

Where would you put yourself?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2003, 06:05 PM

I'm a photographer as well. I'm from the big apple as well. Relocated to Gods' country, Texas.
Welcome by the way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2003, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the welcome John. I too am a photographer. What do you shoot?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2003, 06:34 PM

<I too am a photographer. What do you shoot?>

High School Seniors majority. Portfolio work. Not as much,as with the H.S.S. though. Weddings, I don't do anymore... Sat. I'm at the studio with the seniors. For the portfolio work.......I work with an agent/talent scout. The last big thing I did was for Dillard's(clothes).......their here in Texas(dept. store). And Tommy(cologne). But it was not product. More fashion.

Hows' the photography feild up in New York? I worked with a shooter(Russell Beal) when I was starting out....,in New York. He was a nice guy. He was a fashion photographer. A nice guy.

John
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2003, 06:58 PM

NY's alright. It's pretty slow everywhere at the moment, and I can only talk about the last year because I've only been here that long. What with the economy and post 9/11, last year was pretty slim with the exception of the last month. I think the ad agencies had a lot of money earmarked that they hadn't used and we got slammed with work from them all of December.

A friend of mine has an international school portrait business and he loves it. He's shooting digital.

I try to focus on fashion, but unless it's ad work, it doesn't pay a lot. Also do the occasional editorial shoots and evironmental portraits. I like all aspects of photography, so I do whatever pays at the time, although I won't be shooting sports anytime soon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2003, 08:30 PM

Yes, slow all over,as I'm told. Digital is the way today, as they say. But I can shoot either way. No favorite here!........Just like I said to another photographer, who asked me this question:
What's your favorite camera!?..... My reply: One that doesn't break down!!!
One question I like to ask of you? Since your a photographer. What do you think of the modeling sites you see on the web today(the ones you pay to see models) and do you feel this is a good business for "certain" photographers? Even though some of the pictures look like their boyfriend/girlfriend shot em'.
Their are a lot of "legit" ones(true modeling sites). But the well known ones(agencies) still don't see it as an outlet. Maybe for the above reason. I know some of these sites,where they display the girls'/guys' pictures(for fashion,print work) to be discovered as models, just take their money....... I know better on how to get in the modeling field. It's a lot harder than displaying your pictures on the monitor.
Two Models I work with(true models). Not internet models(as I call them). Don't care for the web thing, to be noticed. One works the L.A...,TX...,N.Y., circuit. The other appeals to the Latin market mostly for work. Both have agents, to do the discovering for them. I guess they don't need the web?

BTW, Tell the New Yorkers' that I really miss the pizza up there. But I found one place down here. The guy is from N.Y. as well. He tells me it's in the water. No joke. The water to make the dough...... I don't know, though. Sounds like I should be a poet.
And try to get a good hero down here! New York always had good bread. Texans think I'm talking about a hollywood character, when I say a hero.
One other thing, check out the action section. Some good actions are here.

John
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2003, 11:22 PM

Hi, and welcome aboard.
Can you elaborate on the terms "low-mid end" and "hi end"?
I do freelance restorations, and work for a photography studio, retouching (mostly children, families, and hs seniors), digital manipulations, and restorations. I'm guessing that would be low-mid end?
Vikki
(also in New York)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2003, 01:17 AM

I mostly just do this as a hobby (I can't find the time to get anything really started business wise) but I have been getting myself a fair amount of freelance work lately.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2003, 09:06 AM

I had thought I might earn some extra money doing retouch work to suplement my retirement income. I quickly found that while I could acquire the technical skills - remember how to use the tools - I lacked the artistic "eye" that was required and I was spending many more hours than I could hope to be paid for trying to achieve the look the customer was asking for.

Also, I'm not a sales oriented person and found it hard to "sell" a product that I was never satisfied with.

I admire those of you who possess the qualities demanded of this profession.

For now, I'll continue to develop my technical skill and leave the artistry to others.

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2003, 11:21 AM

I would also like to know how you define "low-mid end" and "hi end". Are you referring to the price people charge? The amount of work they have? The quality of the work they do? The number of employees in the company? I don't know how to answer this - please clarify.

Thanks, Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon