RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Turn out your pockets (May 2003)

Old 05-27-2003, 10:32 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
And we have to take into account that there's only a certain number of members who will contribute anything at all. Some members don't even take part in RP anymore. So just send in whatever you feel comfortable with. It is all appreciated by everyone on the site.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2003, 03:44 PM

Hey, the timing for this one worked out well, just when the canadian dollar went up!! I'll be sending my donation in as soon as I can, I've become really busy so I haven't been able to spend as much time as I used to here, but I still lurk and join in whenever I can, this continues to me an amazing site.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2003, 07:44 PM

I will send mine soon through Amazon.com.

I think I read somewhere (correct me if I'm wrong) that Doug or this site get's a percentage of purchases from Amazon.com. I would like to buy the upgrade version of Painter 8. How do I go about it so Doug benefits from my purchase?
I also buy other stuff from Amazon.com (like DVD's). Can he also get a portion of this sale?

Tony
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2003, 08:02 PM

Software products that are listed in this site's Review section have a link to Amazon for purchase. Since I didn't see Painter 8 listed in that section, you may need to have it added to the list in order to give Doug a % when purchasing.

I'd send Doug a PM (Private Message) or ask a moderator.

Let's keep this thread going -- Donate to keep RetouchPRO going strong! Click on "Support" on the fly-in menu.

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 05-27-2003 at 09:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2003, 11:05 AM
Janitor

I never know what my appropriate response should be for threads like this. I fear that if I say anything at all, I'll end up looking either moneygrubbing or ungreatful. And if I don't say anything (which is my first reaction) I fear I'll appear aloof. So I'll just say thanks to everyone, and promise yet again that any and all funds received will go directly back into maintaining and improving RP.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2003, 12:59 PM

Doug, don't worry about it. The members here realize that we're doing it for our own pleasure and education as much as for any other reason.

I'd love it if you could give us an update sometime on what changes will occur when your webserver company rolls out "the new class of service" -- are the Archives going to come back on line then, as well as having enough room for us to keep doing all those Member Challenges, etc. When are you going to tell us more about "the major new service addition to the site." You posted that you were going to "shamelessly tease" us until a few technical problems got worked out. Can't you give us a HINT?

Help Support RetouchPRO -- our favorite place to learn, teach, and play!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2003, 01:00 PM

Thanks Doug for all your hard work...

I've been spending my time lately putting together a family reunion web site and having slogged my way through reams and reams of PHP, mySQL, Javascript, and so forth (a lot of it written in German) I have an even greater appreciation of what it takes for Doug to keep this site running smoothly.

I sent in my contribution and like David mentioned with the stronger Canadian dollar it seems less than usual but I hope it will help.

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2003, 01:51 PM
Janitor

CJ brings up two excellent points.

As far as the new class of webserver service, I can only assume at this point that it will mean more space and bandwidth. How much of each I can only guess, but it will probably be "a lot". The other advantage will be limited sharing, so we'd be only one of a few sites running on one machine, instead of one of thousands as we are now. This should help speed and reliability. Aside from that I really can't say (because I don't know). There's always the possibility that their offering will be disappointing (since they won't give me any clues, either). In that case we'll just move (a shame, since I really like this current company, plus moving is such a pain).

As far as the 'tease' is concerned, it really isn't fair of me to wait so long before telling anything more about it. I was expecting for the new feature to be up and running long before now, but cascading technical problems have conspired to delay it. It is far and away the most complex, ambitious (and expensive) addition to the site so far, and could possibly dwarf even the forums and gallery in popularity. Or not, since I've been wrong before
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2003, 05:25 PM

YAY!
I just ordered Painter 8 through RP. And sent in my contribution in the process.

Tony

Last edited by angue; 05-28-2003 at 06:03 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2003, 05:36 PM
Janitor

Don't forget to review it
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon