RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

But is it "Art"? (part II)

Old 02-21-2004, 06:46 AM

The opposite is also true...there are many artists and critics who turn their nose up at something upon the first indication that it might have popular appeal. Sort of the "art snob" effect! I have recently noticed a pretty good example of this when Norah Jones released her new CD a few days ago. No one even noticed her when her first CD was released until she started to get a little play on public radio...then a few critics began to praise her work as "best Jazz album of the year", etc... Before you know it, she wins a bunch of Grammys and has become a hugely popular artist. Now everyone knows who she is and with the release of her new album, I get the sense that some critics are angry that she is no longer their little secret...she has become too popular to be any good!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2004, 11:45 AM

I, for one, hear the whispering in my ear when watching a Disney movie, listening to Emimem or reading Grisham. Perhaps we've all come to define art too narrowly. If you've gone to art school you may remember these words:
"TO EVOKE IN ONESELF A FEELING ONE HAS ONCE EXPERIENCED, AND HAVING EVOKED IT IN ONESELF, THEN, BY MEANS OF MOVEMENTS, LINES, COLORS, SOUNDS, OR FORMS EXPRESSED IN WORDS, SO TO TRANSMIT THAT FEELING THAT OTHERS MAY EXPERIENCE THE SAME FEELING...THIS IS THE ACTIVITY OF ART. ART IS A HUMAN ACTIVITY CONSISTING OF THIS, THAT ONE MAN CONSCIOUSLY, BY MEANS OF CERTAIN EXTERNAL SIGNS, HANDS ON TO OTHERS FEELINGS HE HAS LIVED THROUGH, AND THAT OTHER PEOPLE ARE INFECTED BY THESE FEELINGS AND ALSO EXPERIENCE THEM."

Cheers
Duv
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2004, 12:53 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I've been following this thread, and find it interesting. But does art really need to be defined? I think Roger hit the nail squarely on the head when he said "Whether you are on the creating or receiving end, if this happens for you, it is art. If it doesn't it's not art, at least not for you ".

Following is a portrait from National Geographic, that I thought had a beautiful, mysterious quality to it. It certainly did something to me when I first saw it. Did I see anything in the portrait about the photographer? Maybe he is a very mysterious person. I don't know. If he is, does that make it art, and if he isn't does that disqualify it from being art?

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Natl_Geographic_girl.jpg (19.4 KB, 4 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2004, 03:10 PM
Janitor

No, it doesn't need to be defined, but it needs to be considered. Defining art was never my intent. I see so much created nowadays for the gratification of the creator only. There can be no communication then.

The concept of art, as have so many other things today, has been diluted and compromised.

For inter-soul communication to work, there must be two people that can hear their souls. That is the wonderful thing about art, it can make the soul shout loud enough so that even those that forgot they had one can hear it.

Art is great, and by that I don't just mean "really good". It changes people forever on a molecular level. And therefore it changes the world.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon