RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Kid chess teaching software?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2003, 01:06 PM

Kid chess teaching software?

Much to my amazement when I picked up my daughter from school the other day she was engaged in a chess game with another student.

Though I played a little chess when I was much, much younger and understand the basic moves for each piece, "teaching her" to play well just isn't in the cards for me. Poker? Maybe. Chess? Not.

So...

Has anyone come across a decent "Learning Chess" software program that you think would be suitable for 5-9 year-olds? She's just getting into using a computer and this seems like a good way to get her engaged with this thinking person's game w/o being bogged down by dad's lack of skills. I'm sure she'd quickly get to the point where she'd be able to whip me, which would not be a bad thing.

TIA...
Danny
Old 06-30-2003, 01:29 PM

Well I did a quick web search. Chessmaster 8000 has a kid's room feature that is suppose to make it easy and fun for kids to play chess and learn to play better.

ChessMaster8000

Also it's $19.99 on Amazon new...$10.49 used
Old 07-01-2003, 01:42 AM

Thanks so much for the research & suggestion, T. Looks like a promising piece of software.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:08 AM
Patron

Hi Danny,

I agree, Chessmaster 8000 is the best software out there. I think I've owned every chess program made.

The big advantage to Chessmaster is that it covers "all" playing levels, from novice to expert.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:12 AM

Dear Danny,

The best chess teacher that your daughter could have is you.

I say this from the heart. Playing a computer is never the same as a one to one. It is also a fantastic way to have some good time with your daughter that will last years and maybe when she finally moves out you will continue to play for enjoyment either in person or via email.

Just because you are not the best doesn't mean you can not learn and the fact that you learn together will always be something special between you both.

I hope I have not spoken out of place by saying this but having recently lost my father, and only in the last year having started to play chess with him via email... - we shared some special times and I will never forget the look on his face when we played in Germany and I got his Queen (first time I had managed it) - beautiful memories.

Go for it learn and teach - you will both find it rewarding,

Clare
Old 07-01-2003, 01:07 PM

Clare:

Your points are well made, gratefully received and not at all out of place. There is a wonderful "bonding" opportunity here. I believe I'm going to take a dual approach... a little software and a little real, live daddy.

I'm sure she'll be as tickled the first time she gets my queen (and king) as she was the first time she beat me (legit, no playing soft) at checkers.

Thanks for a great bit of advice.

Danny
Old 07-01-2003, 01:40 PM
Janitor

I used to love playing chess, even though I never got above mediocre in skill. Then came the chess software. It made me hate playing chess. It was years before I discovered that it was actually playing anything against a machine that I hated, and not chess itself.

To me games are a primarily social thing, and playing against a chip I find somehow demoralizing (especially since I have to tell the chip to deliberately dumb down so I have half a chance).

I've looked for a good online implementation of various games, but they always end up pitting me against some kid from Thailand or somewhere else. No chips involved, but no social interaction, either.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:01 PM

Danny

Nice to here that you are going to choose the dual approach

Have loads of fun

Clare
Old 07-01-2003, 04:38 PM
Patron

I couldn't agree more Doug, however, doing both can be a good thing as well. If an individual gets to the point where he has little or no competition, playing friends at a lower skill level can become quite boring, not to metion it will stagnate your game. It could even cause a loss of interest.

For example, I play table tennis at a higher skill level than most of my friends. In order to challenge myself and to keep playing at a higher level (when a good opponent comes along), I use a robot. Moves that would normally be difficult are automatic. I think the same applies to using the Chess software as an aid.

As with most sports or games, you cannot get better by playing below your level. That said, I'll agree playing "only" a machine is not the way to go either. Like Photoshop, it's nothing more than a tool.

I know I'm off the subject, we're talking about teaching a kid chess (sigh). . . just thought I'd comment on the possible potential "down the road".