RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Let's talk music

Old 04-26-2002, 08:47 AM
Janitor

Since I posted here it seems I've been listening to a lot of women vocalists. Sarah McLachlin, Natalie Merchant, Alanis Morrisette, Annie Lennox, Loreena McKennitt.

A friend burned his entire CD collection to MP3, and I've been using the opportunity to catch up on the decade of the 90s (I'm only 10 years out of date).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2002, 07:31 PM

I listen to lots of styles of music but I lean towards the 60's rock. The Beatles are my all time favorites, I grew up with them and I have an extensive Beatles Collection. But I have a son who is studying to be an Audio Engineer so we have music playing constantly in our house. Everything from Blues from BB King and Muddy Waters to Limp Biskit and One Dollar Short. I must say that some of the more modern stuff doesn't appeal to me but I'm careful not to denigrate it because I remember my father telling me the music I listened to as a kid was rubbish and I don't want to do the same to my sons. I actually like some of the newer stuff but still play my Beatles collection when ever I can get a chance to use the stereo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2002, 08:54 PM

My favorite for years has always been smooth jazz.
Earl Klugh, Norman Brown, Boney James, The Rippingtons, Peter White, Dave Grusin, Bob James, the list is huge.

I like and appreciate almost all other types of music, but really only "buy" the ones above.

We don't have any radio stations around here that play this type of music, so I have to create my own personal jukebox (WinMX). Gotta love mp3.
Vikki
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2002, 09:36 PM

well seems everyone likes a mixed bag

no different here.. music made a dramatic shift in the states in early 1964 and as a 17 year old I stepped off a ship in okinawa to hear people talking about "beatles" like it was a good thing...

never really caught up with music again until after my enlistment.

I tried to fit into the 70's.... like a hippy wantabe... as it was all strange to me... thought the new music was all the same.

so now that all my "don't know zip" credentials are posted

my largest collection has always been "pink floyd" ... altho I liked it a lot it also had few lyrics... so if I forgot to change the music for a few hours didn't seem as repetitive... actually think I may have finally memorized the words to "breath"

anyhow for all you folks that have writen me off as "no class" I also have a cd that I like a lot performed by the "ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA"
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2002, 09:44 PM

sorry... elbow hit the enter button
anyhow the RPO album plays "PINK FLOYD" .... best of everything .. big band... pink floyd... lots of the hits...

I think it's fairly rare and I'm willing to share if anyone has an interest.

other than that.. well steely dan's always good for an all nighter....
RonDon
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2002, 01:29 PM

Music is my first passion... Photos, my second.

Funny Doug, most of the women you've mentioned are Canadian singers! I like that. I love Sarah's voice as well. Have you ever listened to Amanda Marshall? I think you might like her voice and style. You might want to check out Dido - amazing voice.

I have to admit, I'm a bit of an MP3 junkie. I love all genres and collect just about everything from 1950 on. I love this thread. It shows how diverse our tastes are and hopefully, we can get some new recommendations. I remember reading an article one day that said that most people over the age of 35 don't listen to new music. That's about where the generation gap in music starts. It would be nice to continue this thread with some new suggestions!

My father owned a recording studio while I was growing up. Music has been and will continue to be an important influence in my life. For me, it brings back memories of my childhood. I so remember listening The Fifth Dimension - Aquarius. What a great era in music the late 60's were.

Please let me know if there is a rare song or something special you may want. No doubt... I have it!

Lisa
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2002, 01:37 PM
Janitor

Yes, I've been looking for 'Salva Me' by Libera, written and produced by Robert Prizeman.

I'd never mention it if I thought there was the slightest chance you had it The last thing I want is a public record of my MP3 trading.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2002, 01:42 PM

Almost forgot to post a few recommendations:

1) Dido - Alternative/Pop
2) Amanda Marshall - Pop
3) Norah Jones - Blues
4) Remy Shand - Pop/Jazz
5) Laura Fygi or Diana Krall - Smooth Jazz
6) Lara Fabian - French/Pop (outstanding voice)
7) Tony Bennett - Playing With My Friends - Jazz
8) Norma Jean Bell - Jazz/New Age
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2002, 02:05 PM

I agree with you Doug. Salva Me is a wonderful song! I do indeed have it.

Lisa
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2002, 01:14 PM

I have a very wide taste in music, with both my LP and CD collections running into 100s. I must say my all-time favourites must be Grover Washington (Winelight) and George Benson (Breezin') with George Benson & Earl Klugh (Collaboration) coming in high up on the list. Other favourites: Clapton, Beatles, Billy Joel, Elton John, Joan Baez, Carole King, Beethoven, etc etc.

In fact, more of my restoration work goes into turning LP covers into CD covers than photos at the mo! In turning the music on LPs into CDs I often wish for a clone tool and a feathering tool (and of course, what I wouldn't do for layers with masking!)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon