RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Let's talk music

Old 04-28-2002, 01:27 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Lately, I've been getting into heavy metal and Rap (yeah, right!!). I've really been listening to more bluegrass, with the Osborne brothers being my favorites, and Seldom Scene second in line. But all the other stuff is still there, getting played frequently too.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2002, 06:32 PM

Big_Al,

I have to admit that one of my all time favorite albums was Tapestry. I wore it out. I even like the CD Tapestry Revisited. Did you know that Carole King and her daughter both have new CD's out.

Lisa
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2002, 08:17 PM

My interest in music started in the 1940’s with the music of the British Isles, which quickly expanded to all folk music. Now I listen to most music, but not rap or the heavy metal stuff.

I developed an interest in jazz when my son started to listen when he was about eight. He and his sister introduced us to Billy Joel, Bruce Springsten, etc., which was quite enjoyable.

My wife and I are classical music and opera buffs, but there is very little music that we do not listen to.

There was a popular folk music place in Greenwich Village, NYC (1950's-1980's) that attracted all the new comers and it was the center of the action. We saw Odetta, The Clancy Brothers, Joan Baez, Josh White and most of their contemporaries perform there.

The music of Appalachia (see a movie called The Song Catcher), the Mississippi Delta, the Cajun areas of Louisiana, the work songs of Alabama, etc. are so moving and speak so much about our heritage.

I never listened to Elvis when I was in high school, but his music also grew out the Southern tradition. I am not into the cult of Elvis, but his music is quite good.

Someone mentioned that many of the female singers were from Canada. Oscar Brand is also from Canada. He is a wonderful folk singer and folklorist. It is interesting to hear him trace the origin of a folk song through many transformations.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2002, 03:44 AM

Lisa, I also really enjoy Tapestry. It was one of the first LPs I replaced when I got my first CD player back in 88. Must be something to do with the cat on the cover (how's that for hitting 3 threads at once! )

I didn't know about "Tapestry revisited" (nor did I know about Carole King's daughter!), but will keep my eyes (ears?) open for them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2002, 05:47 PM

Doug, I see you mentioned Dead Can Dance...I have been listening to one of their CD's and love it!

Like most, I have wide ranging tastes...yes even some metal when I was younger! (I was an Iron Maiden and Rush fan...what can I say, I was a geek)

A few artists I have been listening to lately - Tortoise, Oregon, The Orb, Fela Kuti, Bunny Wailer, Bach's cello suites, John Coltrane, Radiohead.

Is anyone else following this new law that will put small, independent, internet radio stations out of business?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2002, 09:51 PM

All of C.J. Swartz plus
Chopin...Bach...Vivaldi Handel Baroque
Classic Movie themes
Broadway show tunes
Flemenco/classical guitar
Italian melodies
101 strings
Marty Robbins
Dean Martin
Harry James
Herb Alpert
4aces
Lettermen

tom c
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2002, 05:36 AM

I won't reel off a list of music as like Al I'm knee deep in all sorts of music. However a friend of mine who works at a local theatre gave me some complimentaries for Nanci Griffith and the Blue Moon Orchestra. I was most impressed and have since bought a few of her albums. Like most of the American female singers I've seen over here Mary Chapin Carpenter etc they all have crack support musicians with them who are superb. John Carroll who backs Mary Chapin Carpenter was outstanding.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2002, 02:11 PM
Janitor

Karen Briggs is someone I've had my eye on for awhile. She has a new album out that I'm really looking forward to hearing.

I first heard of her during the Yanni PBS special. I'm an unrepentant Yanni fan, but this violinist made me wish he'd be quiet and just let her play. I spotted her in a few other supporting roles, and I've heard one track from her new album on the radio.

Her energy and joy comes through in a way I haven't heard in a long time, and almost never from a jazz violinist.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2002, 12:10 PM

I'd like to make another recommendation - Ben Harper. I've just discovered him. He sings like Cat Stevens but he has a real folk/rock/spiritual sound to his music. It seems every song has it's own unique style. He is wonderful guitar player - which you will undoubtedly hear in his songs.

Give him a listen, I think you might like him.

Lisa
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2002, 01:11 PM

Ah Cat Stevens, 'First Cut is the Deepest' classic stuff !
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon