RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Let's talk music

Old 05-08-2002, 06:18 PM

I've been delving into the jazz and R&B genre these days. Anyone into R&B - is so, do you have any recommendations?

Lisa
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2002, 03:23 AM

My main man is "Earl the Perl Klugh". His older stuff and solo work is great. My second life is a professional classical/jazz musician and college instructor of guitar. Grant Green, Tower of Power, Benson and James Brown for bumpin' music. For fusion, you just can't beat Mike Stern or Pat Metheny. More trad. jazz stuff, I like Wes Montgomery, Jimmy Smith, Bill Evans, Miles, Monk, Train, Pass.

Blues: Ronnie Earl, Robin Ford, SRV, Clapton, Wolf, Johnny Winters, Freddie King, Savoy Brown

Stride Guitar: Guy Van Duser (just an awesome guitar player), Leon Redbone, Atkins, Leo Kottke, John Fahey

Rock: ELP, The Nice (pre ELP), Procol Harum, King Crimsom, Yes
Beatles, Traffic, Hendrix, Led Zep, Jeff Beck, James Gang, Terry Reid, Malmstein, Vai

Classical: Segovia, Andrew York, Kanengiser (best classical guitar player on the planet) Composers: Villa Lobos, Ponce, Turina, Bach, Albeniz', York, Mozart, Debussy, Torroba

Romantic side: Joni Mitchell (it's her way with words), Ella, Diana Krall (it's the eyes and her playing ability) Are you out there Diana and do you need a sideman guitar player? I'm ready!

I like just about anything that has quality.

L8R,
VidKid
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2002, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Anyone into R&B - is so, do you have any recommendations?
Hi Lisa,
do you mean old R&B or the newer stuff? if you like newer artists, some recommends are: Aaliyah, Mary J. Blige, Alicia Keys.

I'm into all kinds of music (except I find country music kind of annoying and I can't listen to classical for long without getting bored)
some of my favorites:

Rock: I like lots of old classic rock, but I really like lots of the newer bands too. Linkin Park, Creed, aerosmith, Bon jovi, the eagles, Weezer, U2, Default, StainD, Nickelback

Rap and hip hop: Wyclef jean, Swollen members, Nelly, Crazytown, Jay-Z

Other: Fatboy slim, the Barenaked ladies, Moby (I really like "Play" and the new album "18" is even better)

thats all I can think of at the moment anyway.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2002, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by OhThatGirl2001
I'd like to make another recommendation - Ben Harper. I've just discovered him. He sings like Cat Stevens but he has a real folk/rock/spiritual sound to his music. It seems every song has it's own unique style. He is wonderful guitar player - which you will undoubtedly hear in his songs.
If you like Harper, you should really really REALLY (really!) pick up Hayden's newest album: Skyscraper National Park

It's wonderful. Normally I'm not a folky kind of girl, but I LOVE Hayden's stuff. And hey, he's Canadian. (: There are some samples on his site you can listen to as well: the official Hayden site I've been playing the album non-stop since I recently saw him perform (which is driving everyone else nuts, but what can ya do)! He's also easy on the eyes... heh. Here's a pic a snapped of him at the concert:

http://paragoneffect.com/portfolio/p...mite_walls.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2002, 04:06 AM

Is anyone alse into soundtrack music? I've listened to a lo of them lately, Star wars, Gladiator and things like that, especially stuff by George Lucas. any good soundtrack recommends??

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2002, 06:30 AM

Talking yippeeee

Now Playing = Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

Ooooohhhh Baby! Do I love this thread!

Just like Lisa, my first love is music! I wouldn't even know where to start with my taste - it is truly all over the place. My music collection includes songs by everyone from:

First and Foremost - Queen Stevie Nicks / Fleetwood Mac

A VERY WIDE VARIETY (be warned):

Rolling Stones, Enya, Aerosmith, Kid Rock, Ani Difranco, Annie Lennox, Del McCoury Band, Michelle Shocked, Bob Schneider, Dar Williams, Eminem, Soundtrack to "The Sound of Music", Prince, Bruce Sprinsteen, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Buddy Holly, Marilyn Manson, Hole, various rap artists, Hank Williams, CSN&Y, Bitch and Animal, Dee-Lite, Pink, Berlin, Cat Stevens, Billy Joel, Elton John, Kate Bush, Cowboy Junkies, Concrete Blonde, Peter Gabriel.... and the list goes on and on and on....

Some highly recommended listening the lesser known artists are:

1. Ani Difranco - (edgy folk - most people have heard of her, but if not, you must! - not for the extremely faint of heart or religious types)

2. Dar Williams (folk - beautiful voice, songwriting, wonderful harmony) Must hear songs: The Kid, Alleluia, Oh Canada Girls

3. Bob Schneider -(bluesy, funky, sometimes rap by a very edgy white guy - also lead singer for bands "Ugly Americans" and " The Scabs" - his solo work is fine for faint-of-heart, band stuff is much more edgy.) Recommended CD : Lonleyland

4. Michelle Shocked - (somewhat known folksy bluesy artist who did her best work IMO before her religious conversion [late 80's early 90's] - she got her name because she endured shock treatments during a couple of stays in a mental hospital - interesting story)
Recommended CD: Short, Sharp, Shocked

5. Bitch and Animal - (Very edgy funky folk/rap - not for the faint of heart - new on Righteous Babe Records - opened for Ani this last tour)

6. Del Mccoury Band - (bluegrass - see them live - I have never seen a better fiddle or Mandolin player - they are AMAZING!!)

7. Ladysmith Black Mambazo - (South African a capella - These are the guys who sang with Paul Simon on Graceland and you have also heard them in Lifesavers commercials. Amazing talent.. I was fortunate enough to see them live, and they were fantastic.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2002, 06:36 AM

Lisa,

Your post about R&B made me think of Nikka Costa, she is a little funk, a little R&B, a little blues. Those of us at her concert decided she was Aretha Franklin meets Janis Joplin. You might want to check her out. Her style is a bit like a female Lenny Kravitz.

Her CD is called "Everybody Got Their Something" I forgot to include her in my list (as if it wasn't long enough already).
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2002, 10:48 AM

Wow chiquitita (everytime I say that - I feel like Carmen Miranda) I won't even answer you youngins about who Carmen is)! LOL
Your taste is very diversified. I do feel a common thread however your a bit of a rock/folk enthusiast. I really like Ani's music as well and have just about every CD's she's ever made - actually I love both Annie's! I have all of Eurithymics and Annie's single CD's.
Rumors is my favorite Fleetwood Mac CD - actually one of my husband's favorite bands. Do you like Ben Harper or Amanda Marshall? Two of my favorite singers. Have you listened to the new Stevie Nicks CD?

Thanks for the great recomendations.

Lisa
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2002, 11:33 AM

But of course I have listened to the new Stevie (actually it was released a year ago) It is great, it's got collaborations with Natalie Maines, Sheryl Crow, Macy Gray and Sarah McGlaughlin.

Stevie is in the studio with Fleetwood Mac recording a new album, I am not sure of the release date on that one. All the members except Christine, who didn't want to tour or record anymore.

I have never listened to either of the two you mentioned, but I will check them out!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2002, 12:58 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
How can you possibly get ready for all that? What a variance in music! I'm another who still thinks the Rumours CD is worth the price it is still commanding. Great stuff. I'll have to be looking for the new Stevie w/Fleetwood Mac. Too bad Christine won't be with them.

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon