Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Let's talk music

Old 10-11-2005, 03:25 AM
With the exceptions of Rap/hip-hop and most heavy metal/goth, my taste in music runs the gamut. I've been collecting albums since the 50's and have laboriously converted most of my collection to MP3s and have about 12,000 songs in my iTunes playlists.

Classical - Even if you don't like opera in general, if you only had "Nessun Dorma" by Pavarotti in your collection, you would understand the power that this genre can hold. Talk about goose bumps!

Country: Probably the most "changed" of the genres. From twangy Hank Snow and "Paper Roses" to Alan Jackson (great lyricist), Alabama, Brooks & Dunn, and the other "slick cross over" artists, country is probably the most diverse genre.

Standards: Swing and torch songs seem to be making a comeback. Of course Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole (check out Cole's "The Touch of Your Lips") are in a class of their own. The Hi-Los and Four Freshmen were wonderful vocal jazz groups.

Bluegrass/Southern & Black Gospel: The Oakridge Boys and Statler Brothers along with Larry Gatlin are tops in this field, but many have not heard of Doyle Lawson and his group Quicksilver, The Gather Vocal Band. Flatt & Scruggs set the standard, but you can't ignore Alison Krauss can you?

Pop: I really enjoy just about every artist in the 50's - 80's years. Eagles, Beatles, Air Supply, Bread, Simon and Garfunkle, CSN&Y, Genisus, Abba, Springsteen, Elton John, Billy Joel, Jimmy Buffett, Chicago... just too many to name and many memories

Soundtracks & Musicals: My favorites are probably John Williams, David Foster, and James Horner on the movies side and Rogers and Hammerstine on the Stage and Musicals side.

El Mundo: Latin music is wonderful stuff, Buena Vista Social Club, Prez Prado, Charlie Zaa, Cuck Mangione, Gypsy Kings, Martin Denny, Sergio Mendez, Tito Puente, Gloria Estefan... The list goes on. If you like African precussive guitar there is none better than Habib Koite. I'll toss Amici Forever and il Divo in this genre because most of their stuff is in a foreign language.. LOL

Rock & Soul: Lynyrd Skynyrd, Charlie Danials Band, Muddy Watters, Peter Frampton, Eric Clapton, Queen, Rolling Stones, Santana, Van Morrison, Wilson Pickett the list goes on....

Mine would be a sad life without music!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2005, 02:17 PM
if we're talking movie soundtracks, then the recent version of 'The Titanic' has been running through my head for a while now.

and i love the more recent broadway version of 'Jesus Christ Superstar'. the notes those tenors hit will just send goosebumps up your arms! got that one on video tape

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2005, 02:31 PM
"If I Can't Love Her" from the Broadway version of Beauty and the Beast has been running through my head... A goose bumps song! (Goose bumps, great to have on a hot Florida day).

Alan Menken does some great stuff for Disney.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2005, 08:52 PM
I usually come in on these music topics late. Oh well, might as well add my 3 cents lol. I love pretty much every type of music except I have to be in the right mood for most country and while I don't mind some R&B/Rap it can't be that foul languaged violent type. But... my favorite group of all time (which I finally met in person this past year WOOHOO) is Muse. I listen to them about everyday. Then my other main love is the 80s. Pretty much all music from the 80s. I think I have just about every song and most of them on three different cds too. My kids just love me for that. Other than that, my music library ranges from Meatloaf to Les Miserables to Hot Hot Heat to the soundtrack from Amelie. My family was always into music. I went to my first concert at three years old. It was Donna Summers. Swampy hit the nail on the head "Mine would be a sad life without music!" Music is my daily medication.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2005, 10:00 PM

My all time fav is Don Henely's "Boys of Summer."My taste in music is very eclectic:
Josh Groban
John Mayers (awesome in concert)
Dave Matthews band
Maroon 5
Andrae Bocelli
A Perfect Circle (three Libras)
Sarah Brightman
Foo Fighters
Stone Temple Pilots
MatchBox twenty
Steeley Dan
Queen of the Stone Age
I spent Oct in Spain and I discovered O-zone a Romanian band who's hit "Dragostea din Tei,” is sooo upbeat..

Last edited by Nanls; 11-05-2005 at 10:06 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2005, 01:55 AM
Originally Posted by Nanls
I spent Oct in Spain and I discovered O-zone a Romanian band who's hit "Dragostea din Tei,” is sooo upbeat..
O-zone? gah... dragostea was veeery popular here also (thank goddess WAS) - anywhere you went you could hear it, horrific!

what i like, or rather love, is metal. all of it - no matter if it's fantasy and power (with Blind Guardian in the front) or death/black from the depths of Norway... i don't mind rock and gothic, sometimes something classical, but other kinds are rather... unpleasant for my ears
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon