RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Let's talk music

Old 09-07-2001, 05:15 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Let's talk music

Who are some of the artists represented in your music library? a few of mine are: Etta James, Eric Clapton, various blues artists, Rod Stewart, Brasil '66; Blood, Sweat and Tears; Sam Cooke, Tom T. Hall, Tanya Tucker, Gene Watson, Neil Diamond, Barbara Streisand, Tony Benett, and my all time favorite - The Chairman of The Board, Frank Sinatra. There are quite a few more, but it's a little after 5 A.M. (kinda hard to think)

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2001, 11:44 AM

I listen to a wide range of music; it just depends on what kind of mood I am in. I have a ton of classical music, some New Age, some Rock, a little Pop, some Blues and Jazz, Country, and even a tape of some Aborigines playing on skin drums, percussion tubes, Didjeridus and such. I also enjoy Pasty Cline, Johnny Cash, Neil Diamond and Frank Sinatra. But for peaceful moments, I really enjoy the haunting tunes of Enya, the enchanting voice of Sarah Brightman and music sung by Andrea Bocelli. So with me, you never know what sounds are going to be coming out of my earphones.

-T
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2001, 01:59 PM

I guess I'm a country girl mostly but I like some rock and classical sometimes too. Like T said, it depends on my moods.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2001, 02:21 PM

Traditional Celtic music preformed on traditional insturments, Simon and Garfunkel, and the occasional dose of Wagner are to be found in my below ground living area. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2001, 03:23 PM

How could I forget Patsy Cline and Simon and Garfunkel? Some of the best music around, in my opinion.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2001, 10:38 PM

Well, my favorite vocal artist is Joanne Shenandoah (described by some as a Native American Enya). Of course, I like Enya too and other New Age artists. George Winston is a favorite (actually, I love just about any piano.)

Folk: My absolute favorite in this category is Joni Mitchell. Also, kd lang.

Then there's jazz. My favorites here are Vince Guaraldi, David Gruisin, Spyro Gyra, Steely Dan.

I have no idea what category Stevie Ray Vaughan falls under, but if he's great to listen to if I need to clean the house.

Of course, Beatles, Simon and Garfunkle and Eagles need to be mentioned too. And an awful lot of artists from the 70's and 80's - those "oldie" radio stations really make me feel old!

Oh, and just about any classical, African mbira and traditional Vietnamese instrumental.

NOT: opera or rap.

Jeanie

Last edited by jeaniesa; 09-07-2001 at 10:40 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2001, 10:49 PM
Janitor

Yanni, Kitaro, Liz Story, Pink Floyd, Dead Can Dance, Jethro Tull, Robert Rich, Sade, Andreas Vollenwieder, David Arkenstone, Peter Buffett (no, not Jimmy), Suzanne Ciani, Alanis Morrisette, Annie Lennox, tons more...

Jean Michel Jarre is on as I type this.

Also, big thumbs up for Geoge Winston, and suggest also William Ackermann and Michael Jones

Anyone use any internet radio with any regularity and success? After I upgraded to MS Internet Explorer 6 I started using the builtin MSN music service...very good music, wide selection, but spotty connection. I love the Echoes radio program (echoes.org) and came >this< close to working for Hearts of Space.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2001, 01:48 AM

My favorite musician is Vince Gill but I like pretty much anything. Anyone listen to Chet Atkins? I have a bunch of his CDs. Reminds me of George Winston--except with a guitar.

Amanda
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2001, 08:58 AM

We used to have some albums by Chet Atkins, but they have gone the way of many old photos. Great guitar player.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2001, 08:11 PM

Wide range also, like the rest of you --

patriotic - Sousa and other marches, Kate Smith, Ray Charles

spiritual - Perry Como, Tennesee Ernie Ford, Jane Froman, Mahalia Jackson

vocal - Judy Garland, Frank Sinatra, Barbra Streisand, Tony Bennett, Vic Damone, Della Reese, Bing Crosby, Ray Charles, Bette Midler, Andrews Sisters, Jo Stafford, Jane Morgan, Eva Cassidy

folk - Buffy St. Marie; Peter, Paul & Mary, Joan Baez, 3D's, Melanie

Big Band - Glenn Miller - "In the Mood" could get me moving even if I was "lying there dying", Modernaires

Country - Ray Charles (again), Judds, Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson

I love some popularized renditions of operatic & classical works, - such as the Toreador Song and La Habanera from"Carmen", "Claire de Lune", etc. but know little about the original music.

Any family history CD that I make will have a soundtrack, because my life has always had a soundtrack!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon