Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Downtime computer use

Old 09-07-2001, 10:17 PM
Downtime computer use

Ok, not counting anything photo-related, web browsing-related, or work-related, what do you use your computer for the most?

Quite frankly, discounting those doesn't really leave me much else. Maybe Freecell and Taipai. Aside from that my computer just mostly plays movies and music for me.

I don't really care for games, especially nowadays. They're too complicated and twitch-dependent. Although I love kibbitzing when someone else is playing
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2001, 10:37 PM
Simply put, nothing. I dont like the games which are now popular, and other than the things you mentioned , when I am not doing them, the computer is off and out of mind. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2001, 11:20 PM
Well, "photo-related, web browsing-related, or work-related" takes up 98% of my computer time. The rest is taken up with Quicken. Once in a rare while I'll listen to a livestream radio broadcast from a station I can't receive otherwise. That's it. I'm not into games. -Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2001, 12:18 AM
Hmmm, like everybody else--I use my computer for "other" tasks about 5% of the time. I occasionally write miscellaneous articles or journal entries, poems, etc. For this I use Microsoft Word. I also write a bi-monthly newsletter for a local animal shelter using Microsoft Publisher.

Occasionally I get addicted to Minesweeper (one of the cheapy games that comes pre-packaged with Microsoft). Other than that, I'm like Tom in the fact that sometimes I like to keep the computer out-of-sight, out-of-mind.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2001, 06:33 AM
For the slim amount of time that's left after all the things you mentioned, I must admit I love to play canasta. This is my way to un-wind and it is fun to play online with several different people not to mention I've made a couple of good friends I play with routinely.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2001, 10:40 AM
I've got two computers with large 'tower' cases. These sit at the back of my desk with a plank across the two cases on which I keep about 300 folding maps of all types. So my computers 4th major function is a bookshelf.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2001, 11:28 AM
<So my computers 4th major function is a bookshelf. > chris H.,

I like that - making the computer pull double duty!

Like Amanda, I also do a bi-monthly newsletter (for a wildlife rescue group) using PageMaker - of course, that's still somewhat photo-related. I do keep my finances on Quicken -- I'm not up to date, but it's still a lot easier to do it on the computer than by hand. I've burned a few CD's copied from old 78 rpm records, and want to do some more of that to make sure that I'll have copies of my favorite old music. I used to love creating databases at work, and want to learn present-day database software to set up a couple for our Home Owners Assoc. But, of course, learning photo restoration takes most of the time...
C. J.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2001, 12:13 PM
Mostly I do Photoshop related things on my computer and when I am not doing that I will sometimes unwind with one of the only games I play on computer other than my beloved Freecell is Jigsaws.
I love checking my e-mail periodically or researching things online but that's it for me. My husband does manage to get on a few times but I am the computer hog mostly. Our son was playing too many games on the computer so we got him one of his own so we only had to share with each other. It's definately on all day whether or not I'm on it or not except when the lightnening storms come I shut down.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2001, 12:24 PM
I am inline with everyone else as "photo-related, web browsing-related, or work-related" takes up the majority of my computer time. Other than that I do make birthday cards for family and friends on my computer as well as my annual Christmas newsletter. Occasionally I play a game on it like You Don’t Know Jack or an old fashion board game from Hoyle’s Board Games collection. I do like the mystery games that are out like Riven and Myst as they have beautiful graphics and I like puzzle challenges verses action. Another fun game I tried last Christmas is Microsoft’s Pandora’s Box. It is full of puzzles of famous paintings and historical objects you have to put back together. There are different types of puzzles such as one that the pieces are viewed under different color channels and you have to put them back together. It’s actually quite fun, but I usually don’t have time to play as there are way too many other things to do.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2001, 02:57 AM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Rap music and computer games -- don't like either one. If it doesn't have to do with Photoshop type things, it will likely have something to do with woodworking (but not much time spent there). About the only other thing I do is use Microsoft Works. I sometimes put Photoshop tips in there to refer to, and I also use Works to access our local library system. This way I can sit at home while looking for and ordering books or CD's.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon