RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Help with curriculum

Old 09-18-2003, 08:26 PM

First Margaret, give yourself a gold star for giving your time and knowledge trying to help others. I have spent time with the elderly and I find it very rewarding.

I would suggest putting together some handouts that they can refer to later. Maybe "borrow" some simple tutorials or even some screen grabs of basic techniques. Something to take home and work with. Good luck!!

Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2003, 08:36 PM

That TG, always stirs things up doesn't he

Thanks for the encouragement Bob.

I've been having fun in the computer lab where these elderly folks are learning Windows 98 for the first time. The instructor agrees that we can learn more if it's dished out with a bit of humor and we've been having a lot of fun.

This morning, I was crouched down beside one of the students and lost my balance. I grabbed something to catch myself and to my dismay, I grabbed the thigh of the elderly gentleman beside me.

I appologised profusely, but he laughed and said, "I didn't mind, do it again"

Was my face red....

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2003, 08:47 PM

Margaret, I'm not surprised with his answer. The elderly are just like us only a little older. My son had been working with my Mother-in-law with her computer. We e-mail her almost daily until she passed away at 90.

Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2003, 04:24 PM

Well, it's over!!

But I had requests to do a follow-up and some people expressed interest in having a full-blown course so I might be in for more than I bargained for

Using your suggestions as a starting point, I prepared enough samples to take about an hour. We only got half way through. They were so interested and asked such good questions it went rather well.

Even a couple of curmudgens in the back row listened intently before announcing that THEY would never waste their time on anything as frivolous as editing photos.

Kudos to RetouchPRO. Everything I know, I learned here!!

Thanks, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2003, 06:23 PM

Sounds like your time and effort were well spent Margaret. Congrats!!!!

Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2003, 07:57 PM

Congrats Margaret! Thanks for letting us know how it went!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2003, 08:22 PM

Oh, I wish I had seen this thread before. I work at a newspaper in a retirement town and my job is processing photos for print. This includes photos submitted for birthdays, anniversaries, 5 generations, weddings, missionaries, obituaries, etc. If anyone is aware of what the public at large needs to know about photos, it's me.
Things I hope you covered:

1. Resolution: Most non-professionals would mostly be playing with photos to email to their kids, or print out for display, or submit to the newspaper, etc. Today someone sent me the 4kb attached file on the left, which I had to run b/w at the size shown on the right. This is for an obituary, which many people will probably cut out and save in their scrapbooks, and the woman will not even be recognizable. I try to get people to send me a new copy that's bigger, and they say, "We had to size it down to send it in email. Just size it back up!". I would cover proper resolutions depending on the purpose of the photo. For example, for print 200ppi is the standard, and for viewing onscreen, 72ppi.

2. Data loss. Every day I get photos that have been scanned in to someone's computer, printed out on their crappy dot-matrix printer at 72dpi, and they want me to SCAN it in again!! If they have it on a computer (and they have to, if they printed it off one) then why don't they EMAIL the photo to me? Printing, especially on a bad or non-color managed printer loses TONS of image data. I wish people knew this.

3. Appropriate file formats. All the time people email me their photo in .bmp format for use, (and usually without cropping the whole scan bed out of the image) and in order to get the .bmp to attach they have to send it at 30ppi or something ridiculous like that. If they would merely send in .jpg format, they could compress the image without losing too much noticable data and could give me a LOT more to work with since it would be at a higher resolution.

4. Cropping. I don't need the whole scan bed in the photo emailed. Just the important part would be nice.

Well congrats on having gotten through your presentation. I bet it was fun. I think it would actually be very rewarding to share something you're so interested in with others.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2003, 09:59 PM

duh, forgot to attach pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badobit.jpg (34.1 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2003, 10:20 PM

Thank for the info Boingo - I hadn't thought of that aspect of photo editing. We did spend quite a bit of time talking about resolution and the different file types and their uses - they even got to copy a chart off the white board (they get restless if you don't let them take notes )

I ran out of time, but they want me to continue the next time the group meets and I will take your suggestions along - I don't expect them to become experts, but hopefully they will give it some thought.

It was fun - and I hope there will be other opportunities.

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2003, 04:03 AM

"Even a couple of curmudgens in the back row listened intently before announcing that THEY would never waste their time on anything as frivolous as editing photos"

Margaret , It was myself and a friend we slipped in through the fire exit!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon