RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Help with curriculum

Old 09-18-2003, 01:35 PM

Help with curriculum

Now that I have your attention, here's what I need.

I'm volunteering in the computer lab at the Seniors' Education Center down the street. I opened my big mouth and put my big foot in it and before I knew it, I had "volunteered" to do a presentation on "image editing"

I will probably use PhotoShop Elements for the demo as most of these folks will have just purchased new scanners and/or printers that have PSE bundled with them.

The session is only a couple of hours, so what should I demonstrate given that the audience will be seniors (most in their 80s) and are all new to computers but very motivated and keen on learning.

Any suggestions??

Thanks, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2003, 05:18 PM

A lot of 'before and after stuff' for starters followed by a 'light' overview of whatever manipulation prog they have got their hands on.
There's guaranteed to be some pedantic attendee who will attempt to drag you into technical mire, put him/her to the sword as quickly as possible and head for the bar.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2003, 05:21 PM

Making some very big assumptions about what they are likely to want to do...

1. Importance of doing all editing on a copy of the original not on the original itself.
2. Maybe something on source of images - e.g. digital originals vs. scanning in, and different types of scanned images - for example, where you can get things scaned if you don't have a scanner, the importance of different scanner settings (e.g. resolution) if you do (my mother had had a scanner for five years before she discovered that you could change the settings) - this isn't strictly "image editing" but getting the right kind of image in the first place will make the editing much simpler.
3. Using different image types, resolutions and compression settings for different purposes - displaying on the Web versus emailing versus printing - based on my own experience with family members I think this is the number 1 problem people have - either they use a 3 megapixel 300 ppi image just for putting up on a website, or they try to get a decent printout from a very compressed very low-res jpeg.
4. Basic "quick fixes" on color and contrast (auto settings? possibly an overview of Levels?)
5. Red eye removal
6. Adding text and borders to images.

A couple of hours isn't long when you start thinking about it... hope this is the sort of input you were looking for!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2003, 05:31 PM

That's exactly what I was looking for Leah and Chris, I will take along my trusty blunderbus and some coins for the publican.

I will meet most of the participants next week and can get a feel for their experience etc.

In terms of ability, I worked for 20 years as a computer programmer and have owned computers for most of that time but yesterday, I had the local provider come and install some new equipment for my combined tv and internet access.

They put all this new equipment in my bedroom and set it on top of my dresser (the only flat unoccupied space they could find ) and plugged it in to the nearest outlet.

When they left, I turned the light off in the bedroom and discovered to my dismay that none of the new equipment was working.

I called the help line and they walked me through the necessary troubleshooting - including checking the bedroom equipment (it's dark in there so I had to turn the light on)

Have you guessed where this is heading......

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2003, 06:37 PM

Keep a careful eye on the punters and tailor matters depending on their attention span dont stick to some rigid 'presentation' or one half will be asleep and the others will have departed. Two hours is plenty for a taster session, bore them and your audience will dissolve before you eyes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2003, 06:38 PM

Of course. One of the first things I learned as a technician many years ago was make sure it is plugged in AND, in your case, make sure the power source is NOT switchable.

Getting back to advice. Try to remember, no jargon and KISS.

Catia (Been there done that )

Last edited by catia; 09-18-2003 at 06:57 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2003, 06:49 PM

Catia, you get a prize for getting it right away. It took me a while before I figured it out

I will remember KISS and try to keep their interest - maybe I can use an image of Chris as an example - Chris do you ever pose for calendar shots??
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2003, 06:56 PM

I'm afraid my posing career came to an end after the affair at the convent Margaret.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2003, 07:32 PM

Oh dear, sorry I brought it up. I hope the memory isn't too painful.

Maybe someone else will volunteer...

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2003, 07:51 PM

I'll never forgive ThomasGeorge for using too much magnesium powder!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon