RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

DVD Players

Old 10-25-2003, 02:54 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
DVD Players

We're thinking about buying a DVD player, but I don't really know much about them. We don't want bells or whistles, just something that will handle the basics. What do we look for in a player? Any recommendations?

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2003, 03:05 AM

I assume you mean a PC DVD player Ed? If so I've used Pioneer for a few years with no problem. Features? not much to add really you shove the dvd in and assuming you have some prog like Power DVD away you go.

If you meant a stand alone model I use one bought from a chain over here called ASDA which is a subsidiary of your Wal-Mart. It only cost roughly $50 and works fine branded 'Pacific 2002' , probably flies a differnt flag in the US.

Wal-Mart arent liked here and a couple of friends of mine bought players from them and returned them just at the end of the guarantee period (3 years) for a later replacement!

Last edited by chris h; 10-26-2003 at 03:11 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2003, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the reply Chris. I was talking about a stand alone unit. After checking out some posts on various groups, I think we'll be OK with an inexpensive unit. We don't have an HDTV or a serious speaker system, so I think just a basic player will do the job.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2003, 10:33 AM

Ed, last Christmas my wife and I bought both our sons DVD players, they were very cheap, made by Apex and they work great. On the other hand my wife and I bought ourselves one, made by Sony and we paid 300 for that one. Let me tell you, we won't even rent a dvd to watch on our Sony because probably 80% won't even play. It is extremly sensitive to scratches on the dvd itself. Both of the players we bought the boys play anything without a hitch. If you've never visited www.epinions.com , it's a great resource for researching other people's experiance's with almost everything, includign dvd players.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2003, 11:35 AM

Ed,

If it makes you feel any better, I purchased a VERY INEXPENSIVE DVD player about 3 years ago for under $80 Canadian...

I've played everything off this thing MP3, home movies from PC to CD-R, regular DVDs, music cd's... you name it! All without a problem.

Unless you have theater setup in your home, there isn't really any point of spending an arm and a leg on an expensive unit.

Save your money... heck, you can probably get 3 for the price of a 'regular' unit
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2003, 04:28 PM

Thanks Eric. I think I'll stick with a name brand, but something *really* affordable. I don't think I'll need more than that, at least for the time being.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2003, 03:48 AM

A lot of DVD players sold in Europe are set up to play only European coded DVD's supposedly to stop US discs pre empting actual film releases in Europe. In reality designed to prevent Europeans buying cheaper DVD's from US sources! Luckily making most DVD players multi-regional is merely a code entered via the handset and the info is available on many sites for most DVD makes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2003, 10:51 AM

whatever you do, don't get a JVC!

we paid $113 for a basic player and the LCD screen stopped working about 2 weeks after the warranty expired. They wanted $210 to repair it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2003, 04:49 PM

Hmmmm.....JVC was one of the brands I had in mind. But I think I found a Toshiba that will meet my requirements. Thanks for the input.

Chris,
That's interesting. I thought the only place you might find questionable tactics would be in the good old USA!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2003, 07:11 PM

Backfired in a big way Ed people just download films off the internet just like Mp3's. The film and record companies back catalogues have in effect 'vanished' !!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon