RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Walgreens photo restoration

Old 03-02-2004, 05:08 PM
Janitor

Not much character left. Overall, the dog faired best. If they'd entered this as a Challenge entry, I'd say "good work, but a bit flat, and a lot of valuable facial detail has been lost".

Vikki: thank you for doing this. It was above and beyond the call, and extremely educational and useful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2004, 06:06 PM

Quote:
It was above and beyond the call
It's always good to know your competition.

Honestly, I'm shocked that this is as bad as it is. I expected much better. Especially after seeing this article:
http://www.detnews.com/2003/decorati...e03-287131.htm

As it stands, I think everything in Walgreen's ads for this service are misleading.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2004, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki
It's always good to know your competition.

Honestly, I'm shocked that this is as bad as it is. I expected much better. Especially after seeing this article:
http://www.detnews.com/2003/decorati...e03-287131.htm

As it stands, I think everything in Walgreen's ads for this service are misleading.
I think it was said best when I was viewing your thumbnail of their work and my g/f said "wow those faces are really scary!"

I also want to say I appreciate you doing this, but I'm not feeling a lot of pressure from the walgreens area now

- Noel
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2004, 06:11 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Thank you Vikki. I agree with Doug. But I think the problem is that quite a few people will think it's just great! Probably nobody on this site, but the general public. Will you send it back to see what the results are? Maybe you could tell them what you think it's lacking. I'd be curious to see just how far they would go to satisfy a customer.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2004, 07:38 PM

I couldn't stop myself, and sent an email to Walgreens photofinishing division.
I told them that I was disappointed with the results, their advertising is misleading, and that their quality control was lacking (there was a slip enclosed in the photo envelope for an "inspected by" signature, but the box was empty) .
As far as returning the photo, I don't see the point. I will keep this photo as a reference for those individuals who wonder why Walgreens can offer such a low prices.
It is a shame that some people will, by lack of comparison, think Walgreens' work is satisfactory, or worse yet, represenative of photo restoration in general.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2004, 05:42 PM

Vikki,

Out of curiosity, how did Walgreen's handle the photo you gave them? Was it just put into an envelope to send for the work, or was it carefully handled as if it were an original historical document? I'm guessing, but I'd say it went into an envelope. This is one area where those who are actually in quality restoration could make an impression on the client.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2004, 06:27 PM

The photo was scanned right there on the Kodak Picture Maker machine and saved to disk (how much resolution do you think you can fit on a floppy?)
I left there with the original.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2004, 09:38 PM

If possible, I try to stay away from Walgreen's. But I think I'll check it out to see if it's available around here, and see what information I can get. Scanning to a floppy doesn't exactly sound like a high quality scan.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2004, 10:42 AM

drug store demons

Hi Everyone,

Having Slaved away at London Drugs for several years (ah having to whore oneself to a drugstore to pay the bills), I can tell you all this...
most of the "restoration work" is removing scratches and such in PS.

Mostly it involves using the "clone stamp" alone.

I got stuck with all of it at the location I worked out because I had background in the field. The non mickey mouse stuff was sent to one guy in the company,

No worries for all of us, the level of workmanship is lacking with these outfits. I about died laughing at the "crash course" training that was involved....
of course it does lend to people generally not understanding the difference between quality work and the dreck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2004, 11:42 AM

Walgreens

I think the important thing about Walgreens is that it demonstrates there is a huge market out there. Walgreens must have spent millions in market research and testing to decide to implement this service. They also will advertise---get the word out about restoration services. This can be good for independents providing the independents can reasonably be competitive on price and service. Cream rises to the top. If Walgreens does a poor job in restoration their business will suffer. Often restoring someone's cherished photos is a very emotional experience for the custormer or client. It is hard for me to believe that an impersonal service administered by a clerk who has other things to do can compete with the one on one relationship that an independent or small photo service can render. That said, I do think that people will have to look hard at competing with them on price. Everyone should have an answer when asked, "Why shouldn't I just take this to Walgreens?"

I posted this also in the Challenges section also.

Ken
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon