RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Make-up on little kids

Old 08-02-2004, 03:53 PM

Eyelashes

Would anyone be willing to tell me how they add eyelashes on these pageant photos?

Also I don't know if any of you are aware of this but most photographers charge around 150$ for pageant photo retouching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2004, 06:17 PM

Very aware of what photographers are charging

Yup, I know how much they charge, but most retouchers do not charge that amount. The photographers do a mark up on the services. I don't mind, they bring the business in and do all correspondence and printing. As for pageant eyelashes, you just have to practice those drawing skills

Afterthought:
Another reason I do not mind their mark ups is that they own the copyrights to the photos. It is their priviledge to charge what they feel is fair. You cannot legally retouch, alter, enhance, copy etc a photo unless you have a signed release or if the photo is old enough to be in public domain. Copyright is not something to be messed with.

Last edited by grafx; 08-02-2004 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Afterthought
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2004, 02:23 PM

Pageant Retouching

I am aware of the copyright laws and I agree with you. I am thinking of trying to take photos of my daughter myself. I'm looking in to buying a Nikon D70. I have taken some photo classes at the University of New Mexico, which has one of the top photo schools in the US. I have tried to do the retouching myself and I give up! I just don't get Photoshop I guess. I just don't have the touch. Do you work exclusively for your photographer or do you do work for others?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2004, 02:42 PM

I work for as many as I can handle
I have two pro's and one amateur. I've had a couple bites here lately for possible others. Luckily, I've gotten fast at them. It used to take me 2-3 hrs for one retouch. I've streamlined my techniques and have it down to an hour each (providing massive "surgery" isn't needed)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2004, 08:03 AM

Very interesting conversation!

Of course, those here have a unique perspective on photo retouching since we are aware of the mechanics. I can spot the digital manipulation on magazine covers at the grocery store right away. For instance, making that 98-pound model appear to have cleavage, if she hasn't already been surgically altered.

The concept of online beauty contests blows my mind. I guess I am naive- I've not been aware of these. My first thought was: what's the point? I would think the prize should go to the photographer and digital manipulator rather than the contestant. Hmmm....maybe we should have our own digital beauty contest right here. Take features from several different models and "paste" them together to form a beauty "contestant".
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2004, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslinger
Hmmm....maybe we should have our own digital beauty contest right here. Take features from several different models and "paste" them together to form a beauty "contestant".
That would be a fun idea for a challenge so long as no one is offended. I love manipulating images. We would need to come up with categories besides just beauty though. Interesting...very interesting
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2004, 10:44 AM

Pageant Photos

I am taking photos of my daughter for the Miss Photogenic Competition at her middle school. I am very good at using PSP, but I'm not sure how much, or if I should retouch my daughter's photos at all. Do you have any tips? Do you have a web page with examples that you have done. Some of these girls go to a professional photog. who does hair, makeup, clothing & jewelry and then takes prof. pictures, then retouches them. It feels like there is a club for this sort of thing that I'm not in and I don't know the rules. I don't want to go over the top, just want to know what the "rules" are. My daughter is 11. Thanks, xlntmom@bellsouth.net
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 01:59 PM

Re: Make-up on little kids

Haven't you heard makeup isn't for the boys it's to make other girls jealous..lol.
I don't think the makeup is necessary on little kids, they have very few flaws. they naturally have color and glow. I let my daughter's play with my makeup, but they don't go out in it, just play dress up. I don't mind that.
For young teens, they only need a few items, like concealer, translucent face powder, dark brown mascara and a natural colored lipgloss. A brow brush wouldn't hurt either.
11 is very young for makeup. Lighting in the photoshoot is really important. I know a place in my mall called libby lu's where they do the kids hair and put makeup and sparkles on them. They don't take pictures though. The kids love it ! It might be a little young for an 11 year old.
Make sure you take care of her pimples if she has them yet. It will save her self esteem and less makeup and photo retouching will be needed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 07:40 PM

Re: Make-up on little kids

my question on all this is, i understand there's money involved and i understand folks will tend to do what they're rewarded for and i do understand having pride in one's child, but WHO decided that this look on children was prize-worthy? that's the part i dont understand. most of the pageant retouches i've seen make the child look worse, fake, artificial, and that's rarely a good look. i understand 'dress-up'. nothing wrong with that, but if you're going to do 'dress-up' and parade your child around, i would think you'd want them to look their best. so, who are the judges that are awarding the prizes at these things. you get what you reward.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon