RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Make-up on little kids

Old 01-08-2004, 03:58 PM
Janitor

Make-up on little kids

This isn't meant to start controversy, I'm just curious. I've noticed a few posts here (and a lot elsewhere) of pageant kids, or simulating the pageant look on children. This basically involves making them look like they have make-up on (or enhancing make-up they actually have on).

Since the purpose of make-up is to send cues of desireability, fertility and sexual receptiveness, isn't it just a little bit inappropriate to make up or retouch an 8 year old to send these cues?

I'm sure there will be some "that's not the purpose of make-up" points made, but that's been the purpose of cosmetics since before Cleopatra's time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2004, 04:46 PM

I agree Doug. We don't have these "pageant" things in the UK, & when i first started doing retouching, i was to say the least, horrified when i saw some of these on other websites. I can't see the logic of the parents who want to see their little children portrayed in this manner. With the sordid things that go on in this world today, especially on the internet, i would have thought that adults would be more cautious as to how their kids are seen in what they think maybe innocent photographs. They would probably say, "well my kid looks beautiful & i want others to see how beautiful they are", but i'm sure that the use of make-up, or the retouching used to achieve this look, degrades the child & robs them of thier true innocence.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2004, 04:51 PM

I've felt the same reaction. Of course, I'm 60, and I didn't start using make-up until I was in high school (9th grade) . Nowadays, some little girls are bugging their mom for makeup when they're barely out of primary grades -- I didn't even notice what makeup my mother used when I was that age
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2004, 06:34 PM

I must say I agree. Personally, it kind of creeps me out with this whole "tarting up" of kids to make them look like their in a "beauty pageant." I'm sorry if this is a bit blunt, but it frankly makes them look like they should be working the red light district in [insert seedy area here].

I can see smoothing out skin tones on babies, kids, preteens, etc, that have blotchy skin, acne, scars, but I don't understand the desire to make these children up like that. But then again, I don't "get" the whole pageant thing to begin with regardless of what the person's age (or gender) is.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2004, 10:13 PM

It's all done in the name of science man...little Sally's face might melt from the stuff so that we don't risk a precious supermodel.

I actually feel pretty sorry for any kid that has to endure make-up being slathered on their face when they would probably rather be outside with their friends riding a bike or playing a game. Early plastic surgery will be the next big thing...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2004, 11:16 PM

Had a family in for a portrait a few years ago. Was having a problem with the daughter, she was in a sleeveles dress and her bra strap kept falling down. The mom was a little upset, but like she said, what can you do with a 3'd grader?

Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2004, 11:20 PM

I don"t care for it either. It makes them look like dolls.
A woman I used to work with has a neighbor with two small daughters in grade school. She regularly takes them to tanning salons, and bleaches their hair. It's really a shame.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2004, 05:00 PM

Well I have to agree with everything said here.
Everytime I see these types of photos I just feel so sad for the "little" girl.

My daughter played with makeup when she was little, she looked cute (the makeup looked more like a clown then glamor - LOL) --- shame little girls should "play" with makeup and dressup - not be made to look like a super model.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2004, 06:11 PM
Janitor

Interestingly (at least to me), or a recent documentary channel they showed how people perceived adults with childlike features (big eyes, big mouth, short face, etc.) as sexually attractive. Since self-awareness has gone out of vogue nowadays, I think people are reacting to sexual cues from these little kids without even being aware of it. At least I hope they're not conciously aware of it.

And of course you have the stage moms who see the kid as an extension of themselves, so if the kid is sexy then she must be, too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2004, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Nelson
Since self-awareness has gone out of vogue nowadays, I think people are reacting to sexual cues from these little kids without even being aware of it.

I think you hit the nail on the head as far as the utter lack of self- awareness in people. I would attribute that to the numbing effect our culture has...at least American culture. I think someone looking at our culture from the outside would be, as Paulie said above, "horrified"...and yet we view things with a detached and almost amused perspective. I'd argue that the whole make-up / pageant thing is indicative of a much deeper problem with our society (which you have already alluded to)...we are like the Roman Empire right before things got really decadent and came crumbling down.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon