Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Inspirational restoration stories

Old 06-06-2004, 06:33 AM
Inspirational restoration stories

I think it's been over a year since we've done this, so it's probably due for another round:

People do not get photos restored for trivial reasons. It's always "the only" or "the last" or "the best" photo of someone they cared about or are at least greatly interested in. But paradoxically, restoration can be a sometimes lonely profession, satisfaction-wise (at least over the internet, I'm sure it's very different in person).

So, perhaps you could share some of your favorite stories concerning the client's reaction when they saw your restoration.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2004, 08:19 AM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
We have close friends who live in Wisconsin. Recently, they lost one of their sons. We weren't able to go to the funeral, although we were in contact over the phone. I told them I would do any restorations of pictures they had that might need it. It turned out that they mailed several pictures to me, and they wanted a collage. The restoration part of it was minimal, although there was some. When they received the finished product, my friend called to thank me. I told him I was glad he liked what I did with it. He told me he didn't "like" it, he "loved" it. They both cried when they saw the collage, but I expected that because they were still mourning, and I knew it would be emotional. It was the best thing anyone could have given them. Since you asked about *restoration* stories, this might not be most appropriate story. I have done restorations where people were amazed (even though I'm *far* from the best), but the reaction I received from our friends was by far the one that had the most impact on me. I felt very satisfied knowing that I gave our friends something they would cherish for as long as they live.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2004, 09:11 AM
inspirational restorations

Ed, What a wonderful gift to give to your friends.Your right, they will cherish it forever.
I have a similar story.
We lost my nephew Matt, several years ago in a car accident. At the age of 14. Although my sister, his mother, had tons of tapes and pictures, all were several months old. I recently found a picture my brother had taken, a group picture, maybe the last taken of Matt. I am fairly new to restorations but I felt so drawn to this picture.I had to try it.I was able to extract Matt,and do a restoration. Almost painterly.
My sister, who lives several states away, was thrilled. She called to thank me and to tell me how much she loved it and how much it meant to her.
To have been able to do this for her has been the most rewarding photo restoration I have ever done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2004, 08:18 PM
About a year ago I restored a photo of the sister of one of my wife's co-workers. Apparently the sister had died at a very early age (mid 20's or so) a few years before and somehow the one and only copy of her 8"x10" high school graduation picture had been torn in several places, as well as stained by some sort of liquid.

My wife reported that when her co-worker saw the restoration, she burst into tears (fortunately of joy, not angst). After taking a few moments to regain her composure, she expressed extreme gratitude.

Those types of reactions (even if heard about second hand) are pretty special and make the time/effort more than worthwhile.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2004, 06:03 AM
I recently restored a 2" x 3" photo of my husband's father. It was the only photo his family had of him. His dad was quite a bit older than his mom when they married and he died when my husband was 4 (1955). At the time I didn't think I could enlarge it much bigger than a 5 x 7 if I was lucky and to still keep the clarity of it. There was alot of work that needed to be done mainly around the face and arms and from what I learned here I was able to totally restore it. I was in the process of making a picture package for my husband and mother in law when I noticed I forgot to tell PS to create a photo package and it printed out an 8 X 10 instead. I was in SHOCK when I saw how clear the picture was. I couldn't wait to show it to my husband. Needless to say how excited he was. He couldn't believe it either. Then he laid the picture down in on the coffee table in front and him and just stared at it. Then he turned to me with tears in his eyes and said, "Do you know that is the first time I ever saw my dad's face up close? My mom was right...I do look like him." I still get goosebumps when I think of that. That was the best feeling in the world to know I was able to do that for him.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon