RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

The news from Zimbabwe

Old 03-12-2002, 02:42 AM

About 100km (what's that - 60 miles?). But trouble in the capital will probably spell trouble elsewhere. In fact, I hear that quite a few MDC guys, poll observers and others have been arrested, so goodness knows what's going on. Apart from the telephone and the radio network that covers the immediate farming area, our best source of news is satellite TV (BBC World News, CNN & SABC) - local media being government-owned - so if I'm not glued to the TV or internet today I'm pacing around waiting for the next bulletin!

Doesn't look good tho' - I think the government had the whole thing well stitched up long ago, so it's VERY unlikely the opposition will be announced as winners, although it's perfectly obvious to anyone on the ground that they were by far the most popular.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2002, 09:29 AM

Doesn't sound very good does it? Hang in there Sam.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2002, 11:17 AM

I think I would be pacing 24 hours a day - even while watching satellite TV. There seems to be so much uncertainty as to what's going to happen in the days to come and all of the possibilities don't look good.

How are your kids handling this? I'm under the impression that they're old enough to understand what's going on.

Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help. Meanwhile, see if you can feel the "good vibes" we're all sending your way.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2002, 11:47 PM

Quote:
How are your kids handling this? I'm under the impression that they're old enough to understand what's going on.
No, they're not really - 6 and 3 - so we have to be careful not to discuss anything potentially scary in front of them. They pick up on the vibes though - small children are amazingly sensitive to mood.

Quote:
Meanwhile, see if you can feel the "good vibes" we're all sending your way.
Oh, they're definitely reaching here alright! They give me strength!

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2002, 02:56 AM

Oh, oh, oh. I need all that strength & more now.

I don't know what to say, except that that was the WRONG result for Zimbabwe's future.

I might end up going back to live in the country of my birth sooner than I thought!!!

Gotta keep smiling, tho'
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2002, 06:03 AM

Oh Sam. What awful news. Take care. Sharon
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2002, 09:01 AM

Unhappy

Oh Sam, even though there was no doubt about the outcome, I am so sorry about what's happening in your country. I guess I just don't have the words to express how I feel about your situation.
It appears as if sanctions could be forthcoming from several of the Western countries due to the corupt outcome of the elections. Why do they leave a knowingly corupt person in control when they can see he has brought a prosperous country to it's knees? It's clearly not a democracy. The guy's a criminal and getting away with it.
Well, keep us informed Sam. We don't seem to get much news here in the US on the Zimbabwe situation due to our war on terrorism.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2002, 12:13 PM

Dear Sam,

I'm so sorry to hear the news. I've been reading all I can on the website that David posted in this thread a few days ago. The anxiety and fear in the reports "from the ground" out of Zimbabwe is palpable. I can only imagine what you're going through right now. Even though you have the option to return to Scotland, I know that's far from a simple undertaking - not to mention the emotional turmoil of leaving the place that you now call home and all of the people you are close to who don't have that option. (I'm referring to native friends/workers - I assume your husband and of course your children can go to Scotland as well.)

On the African Tears website, I found the following quote which seems applicable to so many situations in Zimbabwe today:

Morgan Tsvangirai [opposition cadidate], trying to placate exhausted, hungry and impatient voters said: "I know you are tired. I know you are scared and I know you are hungry. But have courage, people of Zimbabwe, the darkest hour is always before the dawn."

I hope with all my heart that there is a dawn that none of us can see yet.

Sending you wisdom and clarity for tough decisions, and strength to carry on in the face of adversity,
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2002, 12:32 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Sam,

I can't imagine that happening here, and I don't understand how people can cope with that sort of thing. There's really nothing to be said that hasn't already been said. Hopefully, there will be a brighter future. Just don't wait too long to get out if you have to.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2002, 12:34 PM

I hope I don't bore anyone with this quote, but I find at times when I'm particularly affected by life events, I turn to my well-worn "Life Prayers" book, which is a collection of prayers, blessings and affirmations that cover the human journey. Certainly I have my favorites, but I find it amazing for each situation that a different quote speaks to me. In this case:

I want to know why
The rain is falling
I want to know why
There is a rainbow in the sky
I want to know why
The people are hungry
Why
Life in this country is at a standstill
Why
The days seem to grow longer
And life shorter
Why