RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

The news from Zimbabwe

Old 03-13-2002, 01:40 PM

It sounds so much like what happened to Doc and Baby Doc Duvalier in Haiti and Ferdinand Marcos of the Phillipines. It may resolve itself finally when the masses have finally had enough and are at a point of having nothing left to loose. They will eventually revolt in a civil situation and oust him. But by then it will take many years to rebuilt the economy destroyed by the despot.
I am surprised that South Africa doesn't stand up against him since it seems that their economy is linked to Zimbabwe's and when one country fails so does the other suffer. At least that's what I have read. But South Africa seems to be turning a blind eye to the corruption in these elections. It seems like such a confusing situation. Wish there were some magic fixes.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2002, 04:37 PM

Unhappy

The more I read on this subject, the worse it keeps sounding. Sam, do you think there's any chance at all that Mugabe could get thrown out of the government now or anything like that? I know it sounds pretty unlikely, but if they found any kind of solid undisputible evidence that the vote was rigged, then do you think theres even a slight chance of that happening? hope things get better soon

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2002, 05:27 AM

DJ. Jeanie, Ed and David - thank you all for your words of concern and encouragement.

Jeanie - your poem/prayer was so touching and so incredibly relevant. Thank you.

DJ - I think the reason South Africa refuses to face the truth is that they were terrified that a win by the opposition would spark a military coup (which Mugabe had threatened) which would then destabilise the whole southern African region, of which S.A. is the "big boss", as it were. As if the region isn't destable already!

Then there is the African solidarity thing - which will always take precedence over truth, justice, democracy and all those other meaningless inventions of western society!

The more I think about it, the more I realise that poverty is the root cause of problems in the third world. Poor people are easy to manipulate, exploit, dupe, etc. Where there is poverty, you will always find evil people using it to their advantage. So that should be the No. 1 priority of the first world - to eradicate poverty. Just my humble opinion.

OK - speech over!

Think I'll go and do a bit of photo retouching now!!!

Cheers all!

Sam
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2002, 06:35 AM

Well Sam, we'll have to wait and see what mad bob does now.

All our newspapers are running stories about ballot boxes containing more papers than voters. Our "observer mission" says that everything was aboveboard and Mbeki says nothing. You're right about African solidarity.

I'm hoping against hope that you'll be OK now that mad bob can drive around in his Mercedes for another 8 years.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2002, 09:05 AM

I think you said it right Sam. Poverty is the reason they are able to convince Muslims in the Middle East that the US and Isreal are the reason for all their problems. It's the situation in Germany that gave rise to Hitler who declared the Jews and their prosperity were the reason everybody else was suffering. I believe you hit the nail on the head. The most stable countries seem to be the ones where poverty is in the minority.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2002, 01:41 AM

Hi Sam,

It sounds like the violence is growing over there - esp. against white farmers. Are you still OK? (We haven't heard from you in a couple of days.)

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2002, 11:40 AM

Hi Jeanie - yes, we're still here and okay. A friend who farms nearby was beaten up yesterday, but will live, unlike his (black) guard, who died. At least the police made some arrests, so that is a good sign - up until the election they were reluctant to react in cases like that.

Mad Bob (as Al so aptly calls him) was sworn in today and his speech was less than uplifting. We still don't know where we stand (when I say "we" I mean the white farming community as a whole) so it's difficult to make any decisions about the future.

Last edited by Sam; 03-17-2002 at 12:01 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2002, 01:46 PM

If something does happen, find a way to let us know you're all ok Sam. With all that is going on there and Mugabe's promise to escalate the seizure of White owned farm land, we are worried every time you arn't online regularly. I can't even imagine what you must be going through.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2002, 10:13 PM

Hi Sam,
Glad to hear that you're still OK. DJ's right - when we don't hear from you for a couple of days, I really start to worry. Of course, I'm very sorry to hear about your neighbor. Was he alone or does he have a family as well? I worry not only for you, but your husband and especially your children. Glad to hear the police have made some arrests, but it seems a bit like too little, too late. Do you think police action will have any effect on the violence of the youth brigade? Keep your wits about you and stay safe.
Sending good thoughts your way, Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2002, 10:50 PM

Quote:
If something does happen, find a way to let us know you're all ok Sam.
Okay, DJ - my knuckles have been suitably rapped!

Quote:
Was he alone or does he have a family as well?
Jeanie - No, he wasn't - he's got a wife and 2 small daughters (one is 5 months old) but thankfully they managed to get to safety. Must have been terrifying for them though.

Quote:
Do you think police action will have any effect on the violence of the youth brigade
I hope so! Otherwise, it's a case of Anarchy Rules.

Thanks for your concern, guys!! I'm really touched by that.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon