RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

The news from Zimbabwe

Old 03-17-2002, 11:08 PM

Sorry Sam, (no knuckle bashing involved) just worried about you guys. The news sounds so scary, it's sometimes hard to judge how widespread the trouble really is from their reports. Then when we hear about neighbors getting hurt it's easy to invision an army of rebels breaking down your door. I guess we let our imaginations run wild each time we think we haven't heard from you in awhile.

OK, I guess that means you will have to stay online 24 hours a day now.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2002, 11:14 PM

Hi all,

I just read an interesting article in the Edmonton Journal ( the main newspaper in my city) about the voting fraud in Zimbabwe. Apparently the turnout at some of the voting polls exceeded 100% !!! I scanned and attached the article so all of you can read it.

- David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zimbabwe_news.jpg (93.7 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2002, 12:13 AM

I know that the media tends to accentuate "bad" news, but when we get stories from you, Sam, that corroborate the horrors that we're hearing in the news over here, the news hits home much harder. I hope you're not taking our concern as something else that you have to worry about, but we really are concerned for your safety. The type of violence that is happening in Zimbabwe right now seems to be completely random - an acting out of frustration and anger - and apparently not something that can be reasoned with. That's one reason it's so dangerous. So of course, when we don't hear from you, we fear the worst. (But logically I know from experience in VN that it's just as possible you don't have any electricity. )
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2002, 12:41 AM

Glad to hear you're Ok Sam. Heard the story about the farmer that got beaten up last Thurs, and was worried that it might have been your family.

The TV pay-channel down here was due to air a story about the elections last nite. It got a huge amount of publicity in the Sunday papers, but at air-time the anchors said a computer problem was preventing them from screening the story. I have a feeling that the SA govt muzzled them (African solidarity again).

There was also a story in the Sunday papers about some of the SA "election monitors" spending most of their time in pubs rather than monitoring.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2002, 10:36 PM

Great Now in today's news there was a report of a white farmer being shot to death. I know he's not the first, but the first since the election. Doesn't bode well... Hope it wasn't anyone you know Sam. Sending strength to help you get through this, Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2002, 02:28 AM

I saw a picture of that Jeanie off of Reuters. The guys poor dog was curled up next to the covered body. It's about one of the saddest images i have ever seen.

link
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2002, 08:58 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
That was a very moving photo to say the least. I just hope everything's okay with Sam and her family. It might be time to pick up and leave, even though it would be a very hard thing to do.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2002, 10:50 AM

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't got back before, but we've had no power for 27 hours!

No, I didn't know that farmer, but heard all about what happened to him - really harrowing. I also heard that Mugabe's sister had personally threatened him some time back, because she wanted his farm. Makes you wonder, doesn't it.

There's a meeting going on in London about whether to kick Zimbabwe out of the Commonwealth - a lot hinges on the outcome of that, because if Zim IS kicked out, then chances are that Mugabe will kick all whites out of Zim. Or at least all Brits - and that includes me!

Will keep you posted ... power cuts permitting!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2002, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the update Sam. Glad the problem was only a power outage. Not that that's nothing but you are safe.
Well, if the Commonwealth does kick him out he will be left with a country with mass starvation. Too bad he won't be the one starving. Goes to show absolute power corupts absolutely. He deserves a taste of the suffering he has brought his country.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2002, 05:41 PM

Hi Sam, Glad to hear it was just a power outage - except that I know that also cuts you off from almost all forms of communication which can certainly raise your anxiety level when so much is happening around you. Do you have a battery powered radio? (That's one of the things that kept me sane during power outages in VN.)

I sure hope that if Mugabe decides to kick out the white farmers that he ensures a peaceful means for them to leave. Seems like you (and all the other white farmers) are in a very precarious position of possibly losing everything you own - house and the belongings inside, cars, etc. Is that true? And what would happen to the workers that you have on your farm?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon