RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

The news from Zimbabwe

Old 03-24-2002, 04:25 AM

So is famine in Zimbabwe a possibility or do surrounding countries have a surplus that Zimbabwe could use ? Of course thats only a short term solution if the agricultural infrastructure is wrecked and those with the knowledge departed to safer climes !
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2002, 02:12 AM

Famine in Zimbabwe is a reality, happening right now, although not on such a massive scale (yet) to be headline news. It's reckoned that nearly a million people are seriously starving right now - and several millions more going that way.

It doesn't look like we can scrounge any more grain from other countries, either - the neighbouring countries don't have enough to spare and if they did, Zim hasn't got enough money to pay for it.

And yet right up until very recently, this government was still exporting grain ... even when it was desperately needed here at home.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2002, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Famine in Zimbabwe is a reality, happening right now, although not on such a massive scale (yet) to be headline news. It's reckoned that nearly a million people are seriously starving right now - and several millions more going that way.
Zimbabwe dropped out of the running for headlines as soon as the election was over. It is a very sad statement of our times that nearly a million people starving isn't enough to make headlines. I guess when estimates range from 750 million to 1 billion people worldwide who do not have enough food to eat, 1 million people is "just" a tiny fraction and there's no real news story - unless of course the famine is caused by a natural disaster.

Sam, the news that I am able to find on Zimbabwe indicates that people are waiting in long lines to purchase food staples when they are available. Does this affect you at all?

Still thinking of you often and sending good thoughts,
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2002, 12:47 AM

hey Sam,

this thread has been pretty quiet lately, and I haven't really seen much in the news about Zimbabwe, so I was wondering whats been going on there lately?

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2002, 10:16 AM

Hi David - "Nothing new" is the best answer I can think of to that question!

Nigeria and S.A. are trying to get talks going, but they've got an uphill battle on their hands!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2002, 10:59 AM

I was hoping no news was good news on this front. Also the fact that you've been submitting challenges and chatting on the forum led me to believe things were quiet on your farm at least. Hope it stays that way.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2002, 03:14 PM

yeah I've been reading a bit lately about S.A and MDC trying to get into talks but who knows how long it'll be until it happens or if it even ever will. good to hear that you're still there at your farm. good luck for being able to stay there in the future!

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2002, 11:07 PM

DJ & David - thanks for your interest & good wishes. I'll surely let you guys know if anything dramatic happens!

Sam
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2002, 08:54 AM

Hi all, just thought I'd check-in to let you know I'm still here!

Haven't been contributing much lately, as we've got rather a lot going on here ... we've just heard that our farm is going to be "pegged", i.e. divided up into plots for "resettlement", next week. And when that happens, we're not allowed to move any of our machinery or equipment off the farm - it's got to stay put for the resettled masses to use ... We suspect that some senior police guys, who visited us last week, have their beady eyes on the place, which would be par for the course - a lot of these farms have been taken over by big shots in the police, army or government. So much for landless peasants!

So, I haven't forgotten you guys, really! It's just that other things are taking priority right now!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2002, 09:35 AM

Wow Sam - thanks for checking in. I'm surprised you've even found the time to say that much! Given all you've told us in the past, I can't even imagine the logistics that you're having to work through - your animals, your belongings - and most importantly your safety!!

Sending good thoughts for your safety as well as a (relatively) "smooth" transition (since a "transition" seems inevitable at this point.)

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon