RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

The news from Zimbabwe

Old 05-04-2002, 01:16 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Well that's about as good a news as can be expected, unfortunately. I know they are going through a very hard time. Jeanie, if you hear any more, let us know.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2002, 10:45 AM

Hi all!!

My goodness, you guys are amazing - it's like having another family!!!

We're still here and I'm REALLY sorry not to keep in touch, it's just with things being what they are here ... you know, kinda stressful ... I'm sure you understand!

The warvets have just moved onto the farm, but no direct threat to ourselves as yet. It's coming, though, there's no doubt about that in anyone's mind. At this stage, it's a waiting game, I'm afraid!

Thanks again - Ed, David, Jeanie, DJ - to know that one isn't forgotten is kind of comforting!!

Cheers for now,

Sam
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2002, 10:53 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Sam,

I'm glad to hear that things could be worse. Are you considering leaving the country, and if so, are there risks to doing that? Take care, and yes, we do understand when you don't make your usual trip to the site. God bless.

ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2002, 11:01 AM

Well, of course we're you're extended family. It's nice to know you're safe for the time being. Don't worry about not getting in touch regularly, we understand your situation. Since no words we can say will change your that, we just want you to know we are there with you in spirit.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2002, 11:34 AM

Hi Sam, It's REALLY good to hear from you. Sorry to hear about the latest development though. How are things going on your brother-in-law's farm? The warvets moved onto his land quite a while ago if I remember correctly. I know that you've made whatever plans you could think of to keep your family and your belongings as safe as possible. I'm amazed at your tenacity in this most stressful of situations. I continue to think of you and your family daily and send good thoughts your way whenever I can.
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2002, 11:51 AM

Adding my loving thoughts and wishes for safety, peace, and a reasonable resolution of an extremely difficult situation...

Sam, let us know what you can, when you can, and know that many hearts are skipping a beat when they think of you and your family.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2002, 11:48 PM

Hi Sam,
great to hear from you again! have you been able to get much of you and your family's belongings away yet? what exactly do the war vets do when they move into a farm? that must be horrible just having to wait, not knowing whats going to happen next. you are handling this awful situation amazingly well! good luck and best wishes

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2002, 02:40 PM

Ed - Believe me, I think every day about leaving the country!!! The only difficulty with that at this stage would be shipping our stuff out - customs would probably not allow it, but that's a minor issue. What I'm worried about is if we leave it too late and things really blow up (which is a definite possibility) then, yes, there could be problems on the roads, at border crossings, etc. The trouble is, nobody knows where we're headed at the moment - the government has been eerily silent about its intentions, but the evidence on the ground suggests they are intent on squashing every last vestige of opposition, both real and imagined.

DJ - Having a family in the States would come in very handy at a time like this!!!

Jeanie - my b.i.l. is still there, but there are definite signs his days on the farm are numbered. Which could be said for all of us!

Carolyn - thank you for your kind wishes & thoughts. I carry them with me!

David - we haven't managed to move much yet, as it has to be done very carefully - avoiding being followed, etc. It was bad enough not being allowed to remove any farm equipment, but now we hear stories of people who've had their personal belongings, including cars, confiscated by warvets, who claim the car (or whatever) belongs to the farm and as they now own the farm, they also own the car. African logic, I guess.

Re what warvets do - well, it varies from farm to farm. They turn up in large numbers, mark out whatever piece of land they reckon will do nicely (front lawns are popular), build pole & dagga (mud) huts on it, pretend to grow crops, steal fences, cut down trees, drink large quantities of Chibuku (an alcoholic concoction of the consistency of thick soup), beat drums and wail at the top of their voices all night. Those are the nice ones! The less desirable variety ... well, you saw what they did to that guy with the little dog, so I'm sure you can imagine.

But really, we farmers sit here and whinge about our problems, but they're nothing compared to what Mr. Average MDC supporter is going through. Added to which they reckon that the number of starving Zimbabweans is up to 2 million. Mostly in the south of the country, rather than near where we live.

Hello!!! Anyone still awake???
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2002, 02:53 PM

That's terrible Sam and worse, it's allowed and even sanctioned by other African Nations. One man has taken a prosperous country and singlehandedly run it into the ground. Absolutely unbelievable. You don't hear anything about it on the news here either. It's so maddening that there's nothing you can do about it. God bless ya Sam, you sure need it about now.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2002, 12:42 AM

Sam - I'm definitely still awake! Sitting on the edge of my seat is more like it. I've been trying to think of something to say all day, but I just can't think of any words to express what I'm feeling about the situation in Zimbabwe in general and your situation in particular. I know that you'll do whatever you can to reduce your risks and stay safe, so I'll just keep sending good thoughts your way and hope that in some small way they help.
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon