Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

The news from Zimbabwe

Old 05-08-2002, 11:15 AM
I'm in the same position as jeanie - the situation is just so horrible I just can't think of anything to say. just hoping that you're still ok and that you don't get any of the "less desirable variety" of war vets on your property

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2002, 10:45 PM
Sam, you have been in my thoughts lately. I hope it is some comfort to you to know that so many people care. Please be well.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2002, 12:25 AM
Thank you, Sharon. I really appreciate that!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2002, 09:59 AM
Just wanted to bring this thread back up since we have not heard from Sam in a while...hopefully things are going ok and you and your family are safe.

On a related note, since we are a visual group, I found an interesting link to a "graphic commentary" on the Zimbabwe situation.
One of my favorite images is on this page ...down near the bottom is an image of a "zwiss" knife.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2002, 10:32 AM
Wow - those are some very powerful images you found Greg!

I heard from Sam this past Wed (29th). She's hanging on at the farm with the "wovvits," though lots of people are still being thrown off their farms, so the situation is pretty much the same and definitely not stable.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2002, 10:53 AM
link to a "graphic commentary" on the Zimbabwe situation
Greg - great find! Great graphic art with passionate beliefs.

Sam -- glad you're okay, have you decided about Canada, if there is a need to leave?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2002, 07:45 AM
Hey Greg - thanks for that link ... I hadn't heard of that website before, but I have seen some of the graphics ... by a very talented ex-Zimbabwean (or rather exiled Zimbabwean!) called Chaz Maviyane-Davies. My guess is he had to leave on account of these pictures.

We're fine at the moment - thanks! Nothing too dramatic has happened lately - there seems to be a bit of a muddle going on at the highest levels - on the one hand they want to carry on with their loony ideas, but on the other they are just waking up to the fact that the country is falling into a desperate famine situation ... it's taken long enough for them to realise - let's hope they start to see sense now. One can but hope!

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2002, 09:49 AM
Thank God you're ok Sam. I was thinking it had been awhile since we heard from you so I, along with others were getting concerned. I'm so glad things are quiet for the time and you haven't been run off your land. Still praying for you guys though.

I was hoping someone in power would wake up to the situation in that country before it's too late. Now let's see if they can do something about it. As long as the greedy despot is milking his cash cow who knows. However, I think his cow is starting to dry up on him.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2002, 11:11 AM

I just started reading this thread a couple of days ago. I was so worried when I saw that your last post was on the 19th of May. I'm glad you and the family are OK. It's funny, I don't even know you and I have lost sleep over your situation. The apostle Paul wrote the following in 2 Corinthians. I thought it applied to you and your family.

"But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed."

Take care of yourself friend. You have more people on your side than you will ever know.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2002, 12:16 AM
Wow, Steve - that is SO touching. After reading this thread, you probably know me better than most people!!

DJ - your analogy with the cow is spot on! These guys have milked this country for so long (not just this country, either - the Congo being another rape victim) and shipped so much money out, that I really don't think they give a damn what they're doing to Zimbabwe, or what happens to its people.

Typically, as soon as I say something as foolhardy as "nothing dramatic has happened", something does ... another farmer was shot yesterday ... his farm had been allocated to some government official. I must learn to keep my mouth shut!

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon