RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

The news from Zimbabwe

Old 07-04-2002, 02:42 AM

Sam -
I'm amazed you've been able to stay around there this long!! I can well imagine what you'd be saying to the "Lady in the smart new car" if you could!!! sounds like a really major crisis for food right now (obviously all mugabe's fault)

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2002, 11:32 AM

I hope you guys have made some good plans for that time. I hate what's happening to you. It seems so unfair. I hope we don't pour money into that country but I can see we probably will. My opinion is let Mad Bob and those greedy war vets reap what they've sewn. I wish the people would get hungry and angry enough to roust him and his cronies out of power. Like what they did to Ferdinan and Imelda Marcos in the Phillapines and the Duvaliers in Haiti. That may just happen but I sure hope you guys are safely away from there when that time comes.
I don't know how you managed to keep from punching that lady in the face when she came up to you like that. I'm not sure I would have held my temper as well. We're still praying for you Sam.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2002, 12:38 AM

There's a feeling that Zimbabweans have to get well out of their comfort zone before they'll actually take to the streets ... and that means getting REALLY hungry, which they aren't quite yet. There's also a feeling that the govt. are hoping the people WILL take to the streets, so that they can bring out all their big guns and teach them a "lesson". It's a scenario I don't particularly want to hang around for.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2002, 09:30 AM

I don't blame you. I'd be running away as fast as I could too if things got that bad.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2002, 04:07 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
That's really sad Sam. I'm sorry you had to give us that kind of news. Please don't wait too long to find a new home, and keep us up to date. As always, our thoughts are with you and your loved ones.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2002, 06:54 PM

It really makes our troubled econimic times and threats of immenent terror here in the US a small problem compared to what You are having to deal with. I think of you alot when I think things are getting difficult to deal with. I guess I draw strength from your courage and stamina.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2002, 10:28 PM

Sam - so sorry to hear that things continue to get worse. If all of the "farmers of European descent" are supposed to be off of their farms, is there also an explicit (or implied) "suggestion" of where they are supposed to go? Is it assumed they will leave the country or somehow relocate to the cities?

Also, when you say the country has no wheat, corn, sugar, etc - is that affecting you as well? I assume the prices for those things are sky high - but are they at least available or do they just not exist even if you had the money to purchase them?

I'm with DJ - it certainly puts all of my problems in perspective when I hear what you are having to endure. I hope that someday soon you and your family are able to find a "safe haven."

As always - sending good thoughts your way.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2002, 12:57 AM

Ed - Somehow we've managed to avoid the dreaded "Section 8" notice, which is the letter from the government to say "you must stop all farming activities and get off your farm by ... (date)" although we're expecting one any day now. So we're not one of the 3,000, so we don't have to start looking for a place to go ... YET! Anyway, we couldn't afford to buy a house as all our capital is tied up in the farm, which is the position most farmers are in. Those who have already had to leave their farms are renting flats or cottages wherever they can find them.

DJ - I wouldn't think the threat of terrorist attack is by any stretch of the imagination a "small problem"! But both that and our troubles here stem from that one really major world issue - poverty. I personally feel that that is the most urgent thing that needs to be tackled by the West - and not by throwing billions of dollars of aid money at it!

I wish I possessed the courage and stamina you talk of ... those particular tanks are running a bit low at the moment!!

Jeanie - Mugabe has said publicly that he wants every white person out of the country, that we are "third class citizens" and "the enemy" ... so I guess there's not much room there for interpretation!

Re the food - there are small amounts of these items that appear from time to time - you can always tell when a truckload has arrived as you see mile-long queues outside those shops which have managed to get some. But the prices are astronomical, as you say. The people in the queues are those with jobs, the rest just have to go without.

Given that maize (corn) is the staple food of Africans, it affects us inasmuch as we have to keep our workers fed and that is becoming more and more difficult. And bread is about to disappear as well. Salt is also short - and what is the alternative to that??! But as long as we still have cattle and I can still buy veggie seeds, we will survive. It COULD be worse!! At least we've still got electricity and a telephone - without those, I wouldn't be able to keep in touch with the outside world (some would say that would be a good thing, I'm sure!!!

Sam
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2002, 12:47 PM

Sam,
It's been a couple weeks since we've heard anything from you. I know you mentioned something about an August deadline for all white farmers. God, I hope you're all ok Sam. This is really scary. Can't wait to hear from you but until then my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2002, 01:22 PM

I sent her a PM two nights ago, but haven't heard anything back yet. I'm worried too. Reading back through the posts, the deadline Sam mentioned was August 10.

Sam, I hope you're OK and busy making (or implementing) plans for your and your family's safety. Many good thoughts and prayers are being sent your way.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon