RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

The news from Zimbabwe

Old 09-06-2002, 03:18 PM

Sam, I'm sure it's extremely difficult for your husband to consider leaving the life he's always known, and probably the same for your kids. You, on the other hand, have the benefit of already successfully handling huge life changes -- marriage, moving to Zim, parenthood, etc. Hopefully, you'll find ways to show them that the changes can offer new hopes and new horizons -- not just the loss of all they had ever hoped for and known.

Australia used to seek out new immigrants, but appears to be seeking out only those with specific needed skills now. Are there other countries in Africa that you could safely consider moving to?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2002, 01:21 AM

Yes, you're right, CJ - it is an absolutely terrifying idea for Peter to start anew, especially as he also has two sons at university to support!

We've looked at other African countries, but really, the whole continent is a mess as far as I'm concerned - if we get out of Zim, we get out of Africa.

Quite a few friends have moved to Oz, but they're getting very strict about who they let in and, somehow, I don't think we'd pass the test!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2002, 02:46 AM

Sam, if you want to come to OZ please apply. You are right our government is getting strict but mainly on people who come here illegally like the boat people who destroy all of their identification and try to sneak in. I can't speak for the dept of immigration but if you go through proper channels I don't see why they wouldn't let you in, especially since our government knows what is happening in Zim.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2002, 01:36 AM

A shocker I heard on the news last nite: Farmers must leave their farms before Friday so that the new residents can organise their parties...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2002, 08:23 AM

Hmmm, don't know what to make of that one, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised. This whole thing is a total smash & grab (with the emphasis on smash) ... the guys taking over the farms only seem to be interested in moving into these nice farmhouses and then trashing them. Their idea of a "party" I suppose.

We hear that one of the cabinet ministers wants this farm and will be turning up tomorrow to inspect his new property. I'd better make myself scarce, or I could get us all into trouble.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2002, 11:58 AM

You could always torch the house, salt the fields and disappear into thin air! ...I know, silly suggestion, but it would be one thing if the land was actually being given to people who would farm it...instead it seems like Mugabe's cronies get to trash things.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2002, 10:55 AM

Sam,
So what exactly do you guys get to keep in this transaction? I know you said they get the land, livestock, farming equipment, farm house etc. but do they take your furnishings and everything else as well? Your computer or business equipment, personal items? I suspect you get to keep the debts you owe on the farm and such. Bet they don't want that. OH, it makes me so mad. I sure hope you managed to hide most of your valuables. Let us know how this farm thief Cabinet Minister's meeting goes with you. I thought there was some lady that came as well and started homesteading on your land. I think I agree with Greg but it would probably put you in more danger if you did destroy the place.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2002, 11:25 AM

Well, DJ, every case is different - it depends on how the settlers are feeling that day as to whether or not they allow you to take anything away.

Cabinet ministers (or any other bigwigs) are BAD news - they have a habit of throwing everyone off the farm of their choosing, workers included, thereby displacing hundreds of people. Luckily, our chap failed to show up today - thank goodness. But our tenant has gapped it - rather sooner than we'd expected, after receving a death threat on Sunday.

We're making serious moves to "gap it" (as they say in Zim) out of the country - probably to Scotland and probably at the end of the year, if we're allowed to stay that long!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2002, 08:59 PM

Just don't wait too long to "gap it" Sam. It doesn't seem like things are going to get better there any time soon. Take care. And thank you for taking time out to let us know how you're doing. I know you come here as a means of escaping the problems and don't like to be constantly reminded through this thread so your taking time to let us know how you all are doing is a great comfort to us very much appreciated.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2002, 11:58 PM

On the contrary, DJ - it's really good to know there are people out there who care! Thanks A LOT for that!

Sam
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon