RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

The news from Zimbabwe

Old 09-17-2002, 10:36 PM

Boy that would be too tempting if it were me to spike that tea as she sits there smiling smuggly. Unbelievable gall in these people.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2002, 12:20 AM

I have to confess the idea did cross my mind. I must have a look in the horse first aid kit and see what I can find ... a good strong laxative should do the trick

One of these days, I will get round to some ... what's that thing I used to do? ... oh yes, photo restoration!

Sam
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2002, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam
I must have a look in the horse first aid kit and see what I can find ... a good strong laxative should do the trick
Yeah...a good strong horse laxative should about do her in for good!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2002, 03:12 AM

Oh well, at least we made the news!

Here's the link if you're interested.

(I see I got the acreage wrong ... one has to look on the web to find out what's happening on one's own farm!!)

Sam

Last edited by Sam; 09-18-2002 at 03:21 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2002, 10:25 AM

Sam, further down the page in that newspaper, it states:

Tuesday, 17 September, 2002, 15:00 GMT 16:00 UK
Zimbabwe land laws to be tightened

"...Amendments published in the government gazette on Friday will make it easier for the government to seize land by cutting the time for farmers to vacate farms and increasing fines for defying eviction orders.

The ruling Zanu-PF party has a majority in parliament and the Justice Minister, Patrick Chinamasa, has said normal parliamentary procedures will be suspended to enable debate, according to the French news agency AFP. "

That eviction notice may be coming soon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2002, 10:50 AM

I read the entire link and was stunned at just how bad things really are there. Even if you were able to keep your farm, the country is in total chaos and making the farm productive again would wipe you out anyway. Not to mention the sheer desperation of the people around you who would be stealing you blind just to survive. It would appear from the reports, that the country is severely in debt and may soon be left without fuel or electricity. It's become a hell on earth. Also from what I read, it would appear as if Mozambique and Zambia are supporting the fall of Zimbabwe for their own gain so it doesn't seem like the neighboring countries will be of much help in the situation. I had thought from the beginning it was these Warvet type individuals that were getting the land but from reading, it appears that the VIP government people are getting alot of it and have no plans to actually farm it. Kind of like a status symbol or something. Unbelievable, what's happening there. Then there's the aritcle about slavery and prostitution with young children which will just about ensure that the rest of the uneffected population will soon get HIV and the lack of medical will wipe them out. Genocide.

Gee Sam, what a lovely neighborhood you live in. I'd be scared to leave my house. Well, after reading that, I have a new found repect for the dire situation you guys are in and the bravery you show trying to deal with it. God be with you Sam.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2002, 01:04 PM

That's a good point DJ....as I understand it, the whole point of land redistribution was to allow poor black farmers to own lands currently controlled by white farmers. In theory I agree with the idea, but in Zim's case it's become take the land from the white minority and give it to an equally small black minority. It seems like this approach has the potential to create a very bitter and angry population...they were promised something for years only to discover the cronies in charge never had any intention of giving it to them. How many of these people, like Monika Chinamasa, are actually going to farm the land?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2002, 11:22 PM

Even bigger question, how are they going to farm it even if they wanted to with no electricity or feul? Or other resources. Not to mention small time farming won't do them any good as far as earning enough to erase their own poverty. They are doomed. The poor blacks who were meant to prosper by this decision are going to suffer far worse than they ever would have before. They will become slaves to someone just to stay alive. Nice turn of events for them isn't it?
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2002, 08:29 AM

Hi guys,

Just to let you know that I am leaving the house for a while (possibly forever) following a nasty incident this morning, when we were barricaded in by a bunch of you-know-whats - our escape would put Harrison Ford to shame!!!

I've managed to sneak back for an hour or two to pack essentials and keep you guys informed (very important!)

So, we're all okay, but may not be posting for a while.

Thanks SO much for all your support and good wishes.

Sam
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2002, 12:46 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Sam,

Thanks for keeping us up to date. I know it has to be extremely hard for all of you, but try to look for the silver lining. Most bad situations also have something positive about them. Many times it's hard to even think about finding it, but it's usually there. Now you have a chance to begin again, with something to look forward to. Best wishes to all of you.

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon