RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

The news from Zimbabwe

Old 10-18-2001, 01:48 PM

It's easy to see from your photos why you would love it there (especially adding in your husband ).

I've always wanted to visit the African continent -- to see the wildlife, the vast expanses of natural habitat, but I'd rather watch out for dangerous wildlife than dangerous humans. Your courage and tenacity are to be admired.

Do the elephants help with the work, or are they companion animals?

Checked out your website (THANKS for the kind words about the Sept. 11 attack) - very nice photo restoration/retouch work in your examples, and your website design page is very clear and helpful. Looking at your rates almost made me faint I haven't looked up the exchange rate between US and Zimbabwe currency, but I'll hope that you get paid well for good work. Also hope your economy (and ours) will improve so you can expand.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2001, 02:06 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Sam's a she? Thanks for such a great thread Sam. It's been very interesting to say the least. And I'm sure we all enjoyed the photos.

Ed (as in Edwina) (NOT!)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2001, 04:19 PM

Sam-Thank you for sharing the pictures.The house looks like the styles we have here in South Florida! Nice giraffe looking at the elephants.How very small this world seems sometimes.Paulette
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2001, 01:11 AM

Friday morning (yawn! - how do you get the right smilie in your post? as opposed to at the top?) Gosh, what a lot of replies ... Thanks everyone.

Kathleen - No need for embarassment! (where do you get that blushing smilie?) I noticed that there was no slot in "profiles" for indicating one's gender!! Yeah, these guys like to boast that they have "degrees in violence". If you come to power through the barrel of gun, I guess you use it to stay there too.

Chris - I met your Telegraph reporter a couple of times - he was in hiding at the house of a friend of mine and for some time before he was kicked out, he was followed, had his phone bugged, etc. His reports were very good. Yes, I'd say Mugabe's supporters are in the minority, which is why he's behaving like a cornered animal.

CJ - the elephants are pets, but they are also used to make a bit of foreign currency - giving rides to tourists, etc. They are absolutely gorgeous, so gentle and intelligent.

Hope your fainting over my rates wasn't because they were high! The current "official" exchange rate is 55:1 (unofficial - 300:1!!). No-one can even get US$ over here these days - if you ask the bank for some, they just laugh at you!

I've got to whizz off now to a school open day - will be back later ...

Thanks again, everyone, for your kind comments and interest.

Cheers,

Sam
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2001, 02:47 AM

Sam,

There should be a bunch of smilies on your left side when you post a reply - at the bottom of the Smilies Chart, there is a link to [Get More] -- click that and there are a bunch to choose from. If you click on one of those (instead of the Smilies at the top of the page - they'll insert right where you are typing. If you want to insert one after you have finished writing BUT before you post your reply, it will be added at the end of your text -- just select it with your cursor and cut/paste to where you want it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2001, 04:20 AM

I don't see them on the left ... only at the top.

I've even tried pinching them from someone else's post, but that doesn't work either!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2001, 04:43 AM
Janitor

What browser are you using? Do you have Java enabled?

You should see a little display of the various smilies available to the left of the typing area when you reply. At the bottom of the box containing 15 smilies is a link marked 'Get More' that will display all 64 currently available smilies.

But if you're using an older browser, or a specialized browser, or don't have Java enabled, you might not see them.

You can add them manually if you know the typing code (they're replaced automatically). For instance, the traditional text smilie of a colon and right parenthesis will display this Typing a colon, the word 'cool' and another colon will display this

Feel free to experiment in the testing area off the main forums page.

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 10-19-2001 at 04:48 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2001, 07:41 AM

I'm using IE 5 with Java enabled.

Not that it's of life-and-death importance ... I was just curious.

Has anyone started the "where I live" thread yet? Who's going to be first???
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2001, 08:28 AM

hey sam

how reliable is the snail mail.

i could send you u.s. dollar so you could be first on your block.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2001, 12:45 AM

Well, to give you an idea, if I post something to my next door neighbour, he'd be lucky to get it within two weeks. If I post something to someone in South Africa, they might get it in six weeks. I suspect your US dollar would be held up to the light, then quietly slipped into someone's back pocket!!! Kind thought, though!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon