RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

The news from Zimbabwe

Old 09-19-2002, 01:51 PM

Sam
I hope that some of the positive energy generated by those who feel they know you and care about your situation is getting through to you. Your story which is chronicled so well on this site is a testimony to the age old struggle between good and evil. I strongly believe what goes around comes around.

There was an article in the magazine section of the NY Times this past Sunday regarding the trial of a woman in Africa who was the so-called minister of woman's rights in the part of Africa which was once the old Belgian Congo( present day Rwanda).It's a difficult story to read but very insightful. The link ishttp://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/15/magazine/15RWANDA.html

Sometimes justice is slow in coming at times but we need to believe that it will come.
PSC
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2002, 06:30 AM

Sam. Thank you so much for taking the time to log in and let us know what's going on. I'm so sorry to hear that it's come to this. I can't even imagine. I know you've been planning for the possibility of a "forced escape" for a while now, but it still must be a shock when it actually happens. You are all in my thoughts as you look for safety and decide what direction your lives will take.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2002, 10:01 AM

Until we hear from you again Sam. At least you know we are all with you if not in body definately in spirit.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2002, 02:09 AM

Hi,

Just to let you know we're in hiding in a borrowed house in our nearest town - that news story hit the front page of the Daily News yesterday and all hell broke loose! So we're laying low for a bit until things settle down and we can return to get all our stuff out of the house.

Jeanie - you're quite right about it being a shock even when you know it could be coming. One's reaction to crisis can surprise one and mine wasn't as good as I would have hoped (lots of tears, brain went into cabbage mode) but so many people came to our assistance, it was incredibly touching and restores one's faith in humanity again.

So, Scotland beckons and a new life there. We're lucky. So many people have nowhere to go - especially the majority of black Zimbabweans who'd like nothing better than to start a new life in another country!

When I had to pack a few essentials, my computer (aka lifeline) came high on the list, so I'll still be checking in to my favourite website as often as possible!

Cheers,

Sam
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2002, 02:29 AM

Good to hear you are ok Sam...and good to know you have some wonderful friends there! I'm curious, are the British offering any kind of assistence to people wishing to flee?

I just read the story in the "The Daily News"...you just have love this quote-

Quote:
She (MONICA Chinamasa) joins other high-ranking Zanu PF officials, senior civil servants, business people and top military officials who have acquired prime land under the government’s controversial fast-track land resettlement programme.
link

The fat cats get fatter....
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2002, 03:44 AM

Greg, My paper stated that there were plans to evacuate British passport holders if the country turned to complete anarchy but presumably its thought that point has been reached yet !!!

However I'm not sure how many British passport holders will be departing to our shores. The amusing thing is that despite declaring UDI many years ago many retained their right to come back here (UK), did they know something we didnt?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2002, 04:03 AM

chris - Does the UK still have an aircraft carrier? I wonder if they consider using it in these situations? Something tells me that a great many people in Zim saw this coming a long time ago...but they held out hope that it would not end up like this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2002, 04:41 AM

Greg we still have three of the Invincible class small carriers which are past their sell by date plus a couple of more recent helicopter carriers but I dont think any are over 25,000 tons. I heard that some paratroopers and aircraft were in SA ostensibly carrying out training so I suppose evacuees migh be moved to the latter if the place really went up in flames. I get the impression that Mugabe might not be in full control anymore but Sams a better commentator on that subject.

The frogs had to send their Foreign Legion into the Congo some years ago to rescue a lot of European national trapped there although the place was in a worse state than Zimbabwe is at present. A friend of mine was evacuated by the Foreign Legion from some African banana republic some years ago and she said they (The Legion) brooked no opposition from the locals.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2002, 12:39 PM

Thanks for checking in Sam. I don't mind telling you, this situation has us at the edge of our seats. Lately the first thing I look for on this site is your response to this thread.

Don't know how you plan to get all your stuff out and I can imagine it would put Hollywood to shame but I wish you luck. Hopefully you haven't been ransacked already. Take care.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2002, 08:10 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Like DJ, I look for your response too Sam. Glad to hear things are safe, at least for the time being. I just hope you don't take too many chances getting your belongings.

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon