RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

The news from Zimbabwe

Old 09-24-2002, 01:33 PM

Sept. 24, 2002 -- excerpt ---
GENEVA, Switzerland (Reuters) -- A U.N. human rights investigator accused Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe on Tuesday of undermining the judiciary and urged states to step up pressure on his government.

Param Cumaraswamy, United Nations rapporteur on the independence of judges and lawyers, said the arrest this month of retired High Court Judge Fergus Blackie in Zimbabwe was "yet another clear systematic attack on the basic fabric of democracy, i.e. the rule of law."

He said there was "reasonable cause" to believe that the charges of corruption and obstruction of justice against the white judge were "an act of vendetta" following his conviction of Justice Minister Patrick Chinamasa for contempt of court. http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/africa...eut/index.html

Sam, be extra careful -- the "new landowners" appear to have great power at present.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2002, 01:12 AM

CJ - thanks for that link ... yes, you could say we are in a spot of trouble! We have a friend whose farm was recently taken over by another high-powered thug, Perence Shiri, so he gave the whole story to the press - Shiri then threatened to break his legs if he ever did that again. So (brave man) he made sure that got into the papers as well!

As DJ said earlier, nice neighbourhood we live in these days!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2002, 10:07 AM

I get such a feeling of relief every time you respond. I think I jumped on this thread when I saw you posted today. I know it's far from over for you but just knowing your still ok is comforting. Were you able to get back to your house for personal things yet? I cheered when I read about your friends bravery in going to the press. I wish him luck and safety. It sounds like he's playing a desperate but dangerous game. I can't blame him though for wanting to do anything he can to stop this rampage. It seems like all of Africa is going to hell in a hand basket lately. Almost like a domino effect or something.
DJ

Last edited by DJ Dubovsky; 09-25-2002 at 10:14 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2002, 02:01 AM

What news Sam? I saw you popped in briefly yesterday.

A South African who farms in Zim said his cattle are dying because the "tenants" won't let them graze. They are being kept in kraals (US corral?) and not allowed out. I've also heard that one of the animal anti-cruelty agencies down here are flying out pets from Zim.

What's happening to your livestock and pets?

Maybe Blair is right. It's time to close down the UN.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2002, 03:58 AM

You're right, Al - the animal cruelty that is going on is hideous. And to think that the government have paid people for years to try and save the black rhino and wild dog, but now their own agents are slaughtering them.

Our own animals are fine for now, as we haven't been kicked off just yet. So we're just hoping to sell our cattle and horses as best we can. Dogs & cats - don't know what to do about them yet.

But the latest wheeze is that we're looking at properties in SA (southern Cape, where the polo is!) - so if you see a long procession of lorries loaded up with horses and household stuff heading south, that'll be us, on the Great Trek in reverse!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2002, 12:51 PM

Sam,
Nice to hear from you. I'm hoping things are not a threatening for you now as they were when you guys had to do your Great Escape. Did the WVs move on? It always amazes me just how bad things have to get before the world wakes up to it. What will he have left to rule when this is all done? It doesn't even make sense. Are you guys going to fare any better in SA? Sounds like they're trying to do the land reform thing too just a little less aggressively.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2002, 01:44 AM

Sam, I always thought the polo was in Shongweni in Natal

I agree with DJ though, I think coming here is jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. Especially now that Nujoma has kicked foreign TV crews out of Namibia. I think he's about to start land grabs there as well. Once everyone here sees that the rest of the world does nothing, I'm sure the land grabs are going to happen here too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2002, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Sam, I always thought the polo was in Shongweni in Natal
... but Plettenberg Bay is THE place to be right now! "Minks, Manure & Mallets" is how it's been described. Hmmm, wonder which category we'd fit into. Definitely not the minks

Scary thought about the whole thing repeating itself in SA - I CAN'T believe it would happen, but then who knows what's around the corner in Africa. Perhaps Mbeki has got a secret agenda?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2002, 04:23 PM

Sam
Just loved the line " minks,manure and mallets". Might just work as a theme for the polo community in Palm Beach,Florida.
It rather sounds like a title for a charity fund raiser. ..wear a mink-avoid stepping in the manure( hard to do with sandals) and bet on a polo match.

Hang in there!

Paulette
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2002, 02:27 AM

Hey Sam, I heard this morning that tourists from Oz and the UK were held over the weekend for refusing to vacate a farmhouse on a "resettled" farm. Now they're even trying to chase the last tourists away...

It's very sad, as Zim is such a beautiful country.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon