RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

The news from Zimbabwe

Old 10-07-2002, 02:59 AM

"Was", I think! Yes, it's true about the tourists - we've just had the same thing happen near here. These guys know no bounds.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2002, 02:15 PM

In todays New York Times there is an article about Zimbabwe writer Yvonne Vera who chronicles in her new book " The Stone Virgins" the sufferings that black opposition groups have endured under Mugabe. The link is http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/07/books/07AUTH.html
for anyone who is interested.

Paulette
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2002, 11:22 AM

Sam,
I know it's only been little over a week since you last posted but I just wanted you to know we haven't forgotten your situation. I hope you are all safe and your new life is off to a good sound start. Boy does that sound lame considering what you're going through but at least you know my hearts in the right place. Take care of your selves.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2002, 07:43 AM

Not lame at all, DJ! Very sweet, actually! Things are eerily quiet on the farm at the moment, but now we hear that a "Task Force" has been let loose on the farming community to boot whoever's still on their farms off, immediately. We're frantically finding out all we can about property in SA before heading off down there to have a look see. But we hear that this ridiculous land-grabbing thing is starting down there, although let's hope not in the area we're looking in (Western Cape) ... you'd think we'd have learned our lesson, though, wouldn't you?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2002, 02:17 PM

I have this uncontrollable urge to say "Sam, what are you still doing there on the farm?" I thought you guys had already packed up and headed for higher ground. I'd have been out of there at the first fowl wind. I guess it's hard to really judge a situation from thousands of miles away but I hope you guys know what you're doing. Did Peter's brother leave yet?
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2002, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I thought you guys had already packed up and headed for higher ground.
That would have been the sensible course of action! But it's not so easy packing up 15 years of farming in the space of a week or 2 ... all those animals to sort out, for one thing. And Mrs. Justice Minister hasn't demanded the keys of this house, yet ...

Peter's brother is still here, but was "visited" yesterday and asked why he hadn't left yet. So the pressure's on him too.

I was going into a shop the other day, when a bunch of Zanu youths passed me, chanting "No farmers! No farmers!" and I thought - yep, you're right there ... there are NO farmers any more - and, strangely, no food either! Why these chaps can't put 2 and 2 together is a constant source of amazement.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2002, 03:35 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I guess we all thought you already left Sam. But it's good to know that you're still okay. Have you been able to sell anything? It sure seems like you're pushing your luck. Take care.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2002, 11:56 AM

Hey Sam, it's been 2 weeks since we've heard from you. Are you still with us? Praying for your safety. Hope to hear from you soon.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2002, 12:22 PM

Yes, Sam. I've been thinking about you a lot the past couple of days. (Which is saying a lot given the computer problems I've been having.)

Hoping you're OK.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2002, 01:49 PM

Hi DJ & Jeanie - thanks, yes, we're still okay! Mrs. Chinamasa has been ploughing the farm up, but hasn't come onto the front lawn yet! I whizzed off down to the Western Cape for a few days to look at houses there ... but not sure if it's really the place for us. Great place for a holiday, though, If you ever fancy a trip to SA!

Sam
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon