RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

The news from Zimbabwe

Old 12-14-2002, 02:44 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Come on Sam. We want to hear from you before Christmas! Hope everything is calm.

Jeanie, you might be thinking about the PM tracking. Just a thought.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2002, 02:53 PM

Thanks Ed! At least I'm not going crazy. You're right - I was thinking of PM tracking. I just sent a message to Sam so that I could get a message to her in my tracking queue. Looks like she was last online on the 11th - the day before this latest round of posts.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2002, 03:02 PM

You're welcome. We all need our sanity checked every so often. Glad to hear she was around recently. That's reason enough for hope.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2002, 09:59 AM

Sam's message to all friends at RetouchPRO

via email--

Hi Carolyn,

I see that there's been some activity on the Zim thread ... please apologise to all for my absence, but we're all just fine - travelling around South Africa (I'm writing this from the Lesotho border!) for a few weeks, looking at places to move to (possibly!)

Go well and have a good Christmas.

Sam
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2003, 07:26 AM

Hi Guys, thought I'd check in and let you know what's happening here. Just returned from a month travelling around SA - my goodness, South Africa may be our neighbour, but it could be on another planet - we had a great time and had mixed feelings about coming home - things here are worse than ever - there is absolutely no fuel around now - we managed to get home on the tankful we bought before crossing the border, but what we do next I have no idea. Everyone is so down and queueing is what people do these days, instead of anything productive ... apart from the fuel queues, which can be several kms long, you also have to get in line for milk, sugar, oil, salt - even Cokes!!!

The latest thinking is that this whole starvation thing has been orchestrated from the beginning, Stalin-style. Mugabe is a self-proclaimed Marxist-Leninist, so that would fit. "Evil" doesn't even begin to describe it.

To add insult to injury, we got home to find our horses had been ploughed into a corner - all 27 of them are now crammed into a tiny mud paddock. They haven't even had the decency to leave us a bit of grass for our gee-gees.

A nice small wine farm in the Western Cape beckons!!!

Sam
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2003, 07:32 AM

Wow Sam! Mixed feelings on this news. I'm sorry to hear things have deteriorated in Zim, but glad to hear everyone is OK, and the chances for SA are good. Try to keep a positive outlook. I know that can be very hard to do. We'll be saying another prayer for you.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2003, 07:57 AM

Good luck Sam with the wine farm. I'm pretty depressed at the mo after watching Sky News and CNN about the new war talk from US and UK.

Must be awful for you thinking about what's going to happen to the GGs...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2003, 12:44 PM

Sam - Thanks so much for checking in! Glad to hear that you're all still safe, though I hate to hear the news about your horses!! Are you hoping to take them with youto SA? Perhaps you could forget about the gas queues and load up the horses for a "trek" across the border (mostly joking). I suppose water and food might be a problem though - not to mention the heat. It sounds like an absolute nightmare in Zim - hard to imagine that things could get worse, but every time you write, it seems they are!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2003, 04:49 PM

Hey Sam!!! I was just going to check in on you via this thread and here I see you already checked in on the 11th. I was gone that weekend so I missed the update. I'm so thrilled to see you are all still safe from harm. Sounds like you may want to take good care of those horses. They may be the only transport you'll have getting out of there with gas as hard to find as it is. I can't wait until you're safely settled in a new home even if it will be hard for you guys, it will be nice to know you're all safe from potential harm. I look forward to the time when I can buy a nice bottle of your family wine. Good luck.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2003, 05:10 AM

Hey DJ (and Jeanie, Al and Ed) - thanks!!! I must say, knowing zip about wine (except that I like the taste) it's a veritable minefield we're getting into, but hey, what's life about. It's pretty exciting, really, and having something to look forward to goes a long way to staving off the negativity that's been plaguing us all these last three years. We'll have the last laugh yet ...

Sam
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon