RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

The news from Zimbabwe

Old 01-17-2003, 07:11 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Atta girl Sam. Sounds like you're in a good frame of mind. Are you going to SA, or have you decided yet?

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2003, 10:29 AM

In the game of life, Sam, we're your cheering section and all around support team. We're cheering you on and I think we're on the winning side. Way to go Baker!!!
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2003, 01:25 AM

it's been over a month now since Sam last posted here, has anybody heard from her? I haven't seen anything in the news lately about Zimbabwe, which is probably mostly because of the whole Iraq situation. I'm hoping no news is good news for Sam, but I can't really expect the same for Zim, I haven't heard anything about condidtions getting any better there..

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2003, 03:06 AM

Hi David - so kind of you to think of us. We're still here in Zim, but quite a bit has happened ...

Two weeks ago the "task force" (dressed as policemen) turned up to arrest us for still being in our house, so while Pete made a hurried escape out the back door, I faced the music at the front! They didn't much appreciate me videoing them and tried to grab my camera off me, but when I accused them of breaking and entering (they had no IDs or warrant) amazingly they backed off, so I had a chance to get some things packed and the kids together ... by some miracle I managed to drive out without being stopped. We've been living in Harare since then at a friend's house.

Last week we won a high court case to get our farm back, but even the high court counts for very little here, so the Chinamasas are still on the farm and are in the process of constructing a massive gatehouse and boom across the road to the house and have told everyone that as soon as it's up, nothing will leave the place. In other words, they are planning to steal everything we own!

Our 12 very loyal workers are still on the farm and are refusing to budge, so at least the horses and cattle are still being looked after, but it looks like we'll have to organise a midnight raid in the next day or two, armed with several trucks and a good pair of fence-cutters!!!

Sam
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2003, 05:49 AM

It's a relief to hear from you Sam! I'm surprised to hear you're still around Zim, but I can't imagine how hard it must be to have to just pack up your entire life and somehow leave a country. It sounds like a close call with the "police" there! it's too bad there's not some way that Mugabe can just be ousted from his presidency, when it's so blatantly obvious that he's a murderous, stealing mad man who cares only for himself, and not at all for the country and it's people. good luck on your "midnight raid", and best wishes for you, your family and workers to stay safe and be out of harm's way as soon as possible!

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2003, 08:53 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Sam,

I've been thinking about you quite a bit too. But I thought you were getting your lives together in SA. Sorry to hear about the latest happenings there. Our thoughts are still with you. How long can you possibly hold out? Do you have any realistic hopes for returning to your place without putting yourselves in jeopardy?

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2003, 10:29 AM

The situation sounds scary as hell Sam but I can certainly understand your need to fight for what you've worked for all your lives. It just seems like you guys are a David fighting Golliath. Who knows maybe you guys will be as fortunate in your battle as David was. I hope your raid goes off safely. I'm amazed you guys have been able to hold out that long against such opposition. Take care Sam.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2003, 12:09 AM

Holy cow Sam!! That's a major bit of news! David's right - the Iraq "situation" is definitely taking over the news here. But, your post is a good reminder that all of the injustices in the world don't stop just because the news reports on them stop.

I feel the same as DJ - your situation sounds scary! But, as always, you seem to be handling it with amazing poise. I hope your midnight raid goes smoothly. If anyone can pull if off, you can!

Good luck. As always, I'm sending good thoughts your way!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2003, 09:37 AM

I notice the Frogs have allowed Mugabe over to France for 'consultations' !
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2003, 11:33 AM

Chris - Trust those loony frenchies, eh? I think they enjoy giving Tony Blair a few sleepless nights ... I'm sure Bob will make the most of his trip and the department stores of Paris will be rubbing their hands in anticipation!

DJ, Jeanie, Ed & David - it's a crazy situation and seriously irritating, but at least we're all safe for the time being ... we amuse ourselves by plotting our revenge ... like what we'll do with Chinamasa's very smart Harare houses and all his expensive cars, not to mention the shirt off his back (think I'll give that away ...) when at last justice returns to this country.

And, y'never know, some day I might write a book about it all ...

Sam
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon