Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

The news from Zimbabwe

Old 02-19-2003, 01:31 PM
Hey Sam!! Love hearing from you. You may have trouble publishing that book under Non Fiction because no one will believe the incredible circumstances you guys have gone through. I will certianly be in line to buy the first copy out. From the brief descriptions we get of your situation in this forum thread, it's been an engrossing adventure to read about. I'm just sorry you have to be the one living it. I definately think you have a good idea about the book whether or not you realize it. Heck, sell a couple million copies and recoup your losses while giving the Chinamasa's a black eye in black and white.

At anyrate, keep hanging in there and stay alert. We're all on your side.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2003, 09:16 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I doubt anyone would want Bob's shirt. But I'm with Deb...go for it! Become an author! It's really a good idea. It might be safer to move out before it gets published though.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2003, 02:25 AM
Sam, We had some news footage of Mrs Mugabe departing the hotel in a heavily laden Mercedes presumably for the Boulevard Hausemann! Must have had Zimbabwe's foreign currency reserves in the boot!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2003, 11:30 AM
yeah, I was reading about that in the newspaper today, it said that Mugabe and his entourage stayed in 20 hotel rooms costing a total of $24,000 per night!! it's sickening to see, he's out in france in an expensive hotel while his country is starving away.

Sam - I'll be right in line after DJ for your book!! I wouldn't be surprised if a movie is made from that someday.. it's quite the story.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2003, 07:17 PM
Sam, it's been months since we've heard from you! I can't believe so much time has passed! My only excuse for not checking in sooner (and it's pretty lame ) is the constant news from the Middle East seems to have taken over all news sources here.

My message tracking indicates that the last time you were logged in was April 21. I hope that you're doing OK and just busy with "life." Are you in South Africa now?

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2003, 08:06 PM
Hmmmm...I was very excited to receive an e-mail indicating there was an update to this thread, thinking, of course, that it was an update from Sam. Always nice to see a post from you, Janiesa, but more than somewhat disappointed (as Damon Runyon would say) to see that Sam had not made an appearance.

Speaking for the oldsters on this board who have Internet-tially adopdted you, and all others concerned...

Sam, you OK?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2003, 02:43 AM
I was under the impression she was in SA but perhaps not. The Iraq business has taken the spotlight off Mugabe so not sure of developments down there. Glad to see you on Tim.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2003, 02:49 AM
Mbeki has been leaning on Mugabe, so maybe he'll step down soon...

I too hope Sam is OK.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2003, 09:01 AM
Sam, I hope you, your family, and some of your horses are all safe in the wine country of SA, but I won't be surprised to hear that you're still in Zim -- waiting for the fall, and planning on the next season's crop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2003, 11:26 AM
Wow, thanks everyone - we're all fine, still sitting it out in Harare, which is not ALL bad! And waiting for our court case to come up (next week), where the govt. have to prove they were justified in taking the farm ... if we get an independent judge, we have a good chance of winning, but they are few and far between in Zim these days! The wine farm in SA looks like it'll be out of our reach, sadly, so that dream will have to be shelved for a while.

Mugabe has absolutely no intention of stepping down, no matter how much pressure is put on him by Mbeki or anyone else. I'm afraid the only thing that will get him out is an uprising. Which could be coming soon.

But thanks for thinking of me, guys! I am actually doing a bit of photo restoration at the moment, which is great. Should get back into the forum sometime!

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon