RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

The news from Zimbabwe

Old 10-22-2001, 12:18 PM

Hi Sam,

Catching up on e-mail from the past 4 days. Was on a short vacation to Canyonlands National Park - no computer there!

I love the idea of posting pictures of where we live. I've been wanting to do that, but didn't want to bore people. Perhaps someone has already started a thread (I've only gotten through a third of the new posts so far.)

Last month there was a thread on what I've done in Viet Nam. You can read it here. I did post a link for photos there, but will repost here: album1 and album2.

More later. Got lots to catch up on today - including developing photos of Canyonlands.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2001, 01:34 PM

Hi Jeanie,

Thanks for those links. Wow - I am gobsmacked! Those photos are absolutely **stunning**!! And so good to see that a country can recover from war - they must be very positive people.

I can see why you adore it there. The colours, the clarity of the air (or so it seems from your pics), the amazing buildings, clothes, etc. and the SCENERY - breathtaking.

Thanks again - that was a real treat.

Sam
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2001, 02:14 AM

Hi Sam,

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. Someday I'll have a "real" website, but until then the Ofoto site will have to do for my photos.

Yes, the VNese people are very positive - and incredibly hard working. At the same time, they're very "relaxed" about time. (In fact, the hardest thing for me to get used to upon returning home was using a daytimer. I really resisted it for as long as I could. The VNese prefer to look to the future and the promise it holds rather than the past which is such an awful history for them.

Re: the clarity of the air. I happened to be in Hanoi for five amazingly beautiful days a year ago when the humidity was low and the air was cool. It's hardly ever like that! Usually, the humidity is around 90% and HOT!! (Actually, in Hanoi, it gets downright cold in the winter; Ho Chi Minh City stays hot year round.) Add to the humidity the exhaust from thousands of motorbikes and the air really isn't that great (esp. in the cities).

But, there are plenty of other things to love aobut the country. I love the culture, the food is amazing and the people are so welcoming that I really do feel like I have a home away from home.

Jeanie

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2001, 03:13 AM

Just thought I'd post this pic, taken a couple of hours ago, of the new arrival on the farm. No name yet. Aaaahhhhh!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colt.jpg (70.8 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2001, 09:53 AM

Sam
He is soooooo precious!! I wish I could reach inside the photo and hug him. Do you do the training with the young horses or someone else? You will have to keep us up on his progress.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2001, 11:22 AM

That'll be a long progress report! I used to do all the "breaking-in" but have now got to that stage in life where being thrown on the ground with great force no longer holds the attraction it used to. So some other kind (paid) person does that these days. My job is the next stage, which is the most interesting and rewarding - teaching them the job they'll have to do for the next 15 years or so. This little chap's got a few years of freedom, tho', before he has to consider his career options!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2001, 12:33 PM

Sam, the colt is a handsome lil' guy!

He reminds me of a friend's Arab colt from many years ago who was named Samurai -- "Sam" for short! (Just in case you don't already have a name in mind, or a bunch of critters already named Sam)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2001, 07:49 PM

Birth/life is such an amazing thing! Did you help during the labor Sam?

The little one is so cute! I love the beginning of summer around here when the baby deer come out from hiding. They are SO much fun to watch as the spring around the hillside!

Thanks so much for sharing the photo! -Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2001, 07:55 PM

Cute little fellow. Bet it'll be a handful. Any bets on how long it will take the little guy to start lookin' for ways to get out of the corral? Congratulations on the new arrival. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2001, 11:49 PM

CJ - Samurai's a great name, without the shortening. Hmm, will think about that one - thanks!

Jeanie - no matter how many births you witness, I reckon it's still an amazing experience. This was the mare's second foal and she didn't need much help (she was in labour for about 10 minutes - lucky thing!), although it's always good to be on hand in case there are problems.

Tom - he's already a handful. Yesterday morning, he was weak and feeble and I could easily manoevre him around, e.g to show him where to find breakfast. But later in the afternoon, I couldn't get near him and he'd already learned to turn his butt on me and threaten to kick! Cute and cheeky at the same time.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon